Help: New MacBook Pro, New XP. No luck!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dkmorello, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dkmorello

dkmorello Bit poster

I installed Parallels Desktop for Mac in my new MacBook Pro, set up a typical guest OS profile for Windows XP, then inserted a brand-new Windows XP Home Edition disk. Although Parallels said that I would get the XP installation wizard, I see only the Microsoft blue screen, then as the disk whirs away, I get a series of error messages -- error code 512, error code 7 (i.e., file i386\vgaoem.fom could not be found) -- and the Windows XP installation halted. I have tried this numerous times and ended up so frustrated I simply uninstalled Parallels. This should not be so difficult.

Help, anyone? I am not a techie. The simpler and clearer the advice, the more helpful. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. wad

wad Junior Member

sorry to hear that, I would suggest maybe cleaning your disk or checking for scratches, as that would seem to be the problem, bad windows disk.

FIle not found errors are related to the windwos disk itself nothing to do with parallels.

3. m1k3yt

m1k3yt Bit poster

You could try creating a disk image (using ImageTool), and then configure your VM to use that instead of the physical cd? It's a much quicker and I find much more reliable.