Now it's time...

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Roaster, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Roaster

Roaster Member

...for a beta of Parallels Workstation for Windows with Vista guest support!

2. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Parallels have said Vista support ( ACPI ) won't be available until the next major release, rumoured to be before the end of the year.

3. Roaster

Roaster Member

...However it's too late then. Millions of developers must test their software products to be Vista compatible from now on or sbdy else will take their place.

Of course I could install any beta of Vista on a PC, pyhsically, however I would like to do this inside a VM. VMWare already supports Vista they do not wait until the successor of Windows has been released.

cu

4. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

I'm sure that if Parallels had been in business for as long as VMware they would be able to offer Vista VMs quicker. Then there is cost. $50 Parallels does a lot of what VMware does for $200. Give them a break - they've come a long way in 9 months and have a solid foundation to build on.

5. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

If you search the net a bit (and this forum) you will see that the roadmap for the next parallels realeses is out there (date given by Parallels themselves), and right now it sais that Workstation 3.0 will come in august along side Server 1.0. And I hope at least WS 3.0 not will be that mutch delayed. Exited to try that one out.

6. jkwuc89

jkwuc89 Member

Currently, VMWare Workstation 5.5.2 does not support the latest Vista build. The install hangs during the "Loading Files" step. VMWare is apparently working on fixing this.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Worstation 3.0 is due before the end of the year. My guess is that equals December.

When is Vista due for release? Not even Microsoft can answer that. Maybe some versions in December, maybe. Maybe some other versions in February, maybe. How do developers plan for that anyhow?

Worrying about Vista compatability before December will be shown to be largely futile.

8. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

Workstation 3.0 date is now changed to around spring 2007 :/

9. Roaster

Roaster Member

@jkwuc89,
    However I had already the chance to use VMWare with one of the earlier builds of Vista ;-)
    This meens that this new issue will only be temporary...

@constant ,
    I need not to plan for the gold version of Vista but for the latest RC candidate, since I must test my current applications to run on Vista.

The latest RC seems to be stable enough to get a first impression how my programs will behave and run. So no need to wait for the final of Vista.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  10. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

If you're thinking about Enterprise testing, it's pretty much a given that -any- sane company won't upgrade to Vista until SP1. The network stack was rewritten from scratch... lol