Parallels Workstation for Windows/Linux 2.2 beta!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

Hello all -

I'm really happy to let you all know that we've launched beta testing for Parallels Workstation 2.2, a more powerful version of our virtualization software for Windows and Linux!

Workstation 2.2 beta offers a number of really impressive upgrades over Workstation 2.1, including:
    • Full support for AMD Secure Virtual Machine (SVM) technology. This technology, similar to Intel Virtualization Technology, dramatically improves the speed, performance, stability and isolation of virtual machines by offloading some of the "heavy lifting" from our engine directly to the processor
    • Shared Folders that allow users to share files and folders between OSes
    • Better sound recording and playback
    • Smoother video playback
    • NetBSD can now be used as a guest OS, and Solaris guest VMs work much faster
    • Better USB support, including support for isynchronous devices and Windows Mobile 5
    Check out all of the upgrades and new features at the Workstation 2.2 main page.

IF YOU'RE A REGISTERED USER:
    The update to 2.2 is COMPLETELY FREE for all Workstation 2.1 users! When we release the final update in just a few weeks, Parallels Workstation will auto-update. If you have auto update disabled, you'll be able to manually update Parallels Workstation by downloading the update package off of parallels.com.

You will NOT need to reinstall any guest OS, nor will you lose any data when you upgrade to Workstation 2.2 Beta. Don't forget to update Parallels Tools after upgrading to 2.2 Beta. Go to VM -> Intall Parallels Tools... menu while your Windows VM is running.

IF YOU'RE A NEW USER:
    If you’re a new user, you can start using Parallels Workstation 2.2 Beta by downloading and installing the beta on a «bare» machine.

TRY WORKSTATION 2.2 BETA NOW!!!

2. ajay

ajay Hunter

Ben:

Since the file is a .exe file, I assume you have to download in Windows from Parallels and install while the guest OS is running, correct?

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

ajay,

This is version for primary Windows, not Mac OS X. You could run it in Boot Camp if you want :)

4. mkummer

mkummer Member

SO, it does not run under Parallels for Max OS X with windows. (I mean running ths version under a Windows running in Parallels on a Mac... ) .) - But cool enough, running in in Boot Camp. :) Extremely pervers...

5. tcaduto

tcaduto Bit poster

AMD CPU question

You mention the 2.2 version supports the AMD virtualization technology, but what CPUs support this? Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 X2?

Or is this not available in currently released CPUs?

6. Danorske

Danorske Member

Hei Ben,

THANKS A LOT. Been waiting patiently for this to come out. Greatly appreciated.
    Ron

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

This is very nice. The mouse movement is smooth, overall performance is faster, and the custom resolutions make it possible to create almost any window size you like.

I still can't print to my HP DJ3420 directly, but a little Samba magic makes that happen. Just on that, all I do is install the printer in my SuSE Linux 10.0, then go to Yast and start the Samba server. Next thing you know, a network printer is available in Parallels XP.

All the other USB devices I have tried (camera, flash drive, voice recorder) have worked perfectly.

I really, really like shared folders. Copy speed is the same as any internal disk to disk copy. Very convenient.

Look foward to future developments, though my needs are being met quite nicely already.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Constant,

Thanks!

9. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

I would love to try it out but as my PW 2.1 date has expired I can't try this one out. Thats really a shame. I think you should get new trialdays when a new version comes out.

Nice to see a update for win/lin anyway. Great work. Can't wait for 3.0! :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  10. constant

constant Forum Maven

Once a purchase of any version is made, all minor versions come with free trial days for as long as you want.

11. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

Yeah, but I havent used a version that I wanna buy yet, I want 64-bit support. So the first one I buy will probobly be 3.0. But it still nice to try the new ones out.

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

Well, we can't have everything, can we.

13. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

We can't? OK. Thanks for your clarification!

14. j00

j00 Bit poster

I tried 2.2 beta. fullscreen mode was buggy.

When switched to fullscreen, the screen was just black. Then I hit ctrl + alt or alt + enter to go back. Result: first nothing happens, then after several seconds of waiting it goes back to window mode (with host OS resolution and refresh rate messed up) but automatically wants to go back fullscreen, which does not work.