PPP Networking Support

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by abtmattk, Aug 31, 2006.

1. abtmattk

abtmattk Bit poster

I am trying to share a PPP connection from an EVDO modem to Windows XP. Standard bridging doesn't work for this because it isn't possible to acquire another IP from the PPP service. I currently can make this work through rearranging the host-only networking to work in conjunction with OS X internet sharing but I am looking for a more elegant solution. I would really like to hear back from Parallels on my pending support request regarding this issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. Robster

Robster Hunter

Make that two of us.

Robin

3. majortom

majortom Member

Three of us.

4. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Hi,

Disclaimer: in no way am I denegrading your concern with the following comment, or to start a flame war ;-)

I'm at a loss here, how is Parallels going to create another IP when that is something the ISP provides.

Ok, maybe i totally don't undestand the problem

My solutions to this is a $50 Linksys Router with DHCP server built in.

5. Robster

Robster Hunter

Sorry but your solution does NOT address the problem.

The problem at least as far as I am concerned centers around using my mobile phone as a modem via Bluetooth.

This is on the road not attached to a network at home where aeverything works fine!

Robin

6. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Thanks,

I understand now why the issue. I wonder if there is a software Router with DHCP server

7. joem

joem Forum Maven

If host only networking with OSX connection sharing works for you, that's the solution. If not, there probably is no solution unless your phone will provide two IP addresses.

8. Robster

Robster Hunter

Which I THINK mine does BUT right now Parallels does not support bridging to a Bluetooth modem, only ethernet or WiFi.

It really needs the Bluetooth Modem bridging to make this work.

Robin

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

No, bridging is not the answer. That requires two IP addresses. You need to share the internet connection in OSX with the Parallels adapter (en2 usually), then use host only networking.

10. jonrobs

jonrobs Junior Member

Need a solution like VMWare and Virtual PC

Parallels are missing one mode of connection and that is a NAT connection to the active internet connection. Both VMWare and VirtualPC do this for their windows products and it works great.
    This means that Parallels would offer 3 modes of networking operation:-

Bridged Networking
    Host Only Networking
    NAT Networking

I do not know of NAT is on Paralles road map but it would be good if it was. Knowing that it is comming makes it easier to live with the crippled Apple shared networking solution.

John