How to increase HD space?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dfafard, Apr 8, 2006.

1. dfafard

dfafard Bit poster

Ouch! I just installed all my apps and email and then ran out of room.
    Went to expand the image and found that "parallel image tool" is not available for OSX.

Any ideas.. or do I have to wipe and re-install?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. TemperAnthems

TemperAnthems Bit poster

You could try adding another hard disk to your configuration and move some of your apps or data to it.
    Cheers,
    Michel.

3. dfafard

dfafard Bit poster

Thanks for the tip... but I tried adding a HD and never see the disk in windows xp. I assumed it would show up as D: ??

4. anshar

anshar Member

To see new disk in guest Windows XP you should go to Control Panel (classic view)->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management and partition/format new disk. Then you'll be able to see it as D:

5. Manatee

Manatee Member

Thank you so much. I was having the same problem, and couldn't figure out how to get the disk to show up.

I should note to others that once you get into the disk management screen, you right-click on your "new" disk, and select "Add Volume". This finds your "device", and allows you to format it.

Also, my CD/DVD drive was already D:, so I right-clicked on it first and changed its letter to E, so I could use D for my second disk.

6. dfafard

dfafard Bit poster

Thanks anshar and Manatee. That worked great. Now I can just store all data on D.. Perfect!
    Can't wait for the final... I 'm lovin it.

Dave

7. afore

afore Member

Cannot add another partition on harddrive as disk

Went through the control panel, etc in winxp, but it still does not find a fat32 partition I setup previously in Suse.

8. pretzelmonster

pretzelmonster Bit poster

Use parallel image tool with Windows

Hi, I had the same problem but luckily als had a Windows machine available and downloaded the Trial version of Parallels for Windows. The parallel image tool there also works with OS X images. So I could increase the image size there and then use the available disk space using Partition Magic back in Parallels running under OS X.

Maybe that helps.

Kind regards, pretzelmonster.

9. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

I think you can't run Parallels Imager in the Beta...having same problem.

10. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

How do you see the new disk?

Problem is how does one see the new disk in the DM screen? It just shows my C: drive as 4 gig and then my CDROM as D:

11. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

Figured it out. Get the Beta3 and install it.
    - Then create a new VM Hard drive.
    - In the Configuration Editor, Select the new Hard Drive and on the right side under "attachment option, select it to Connect to: IDE 1:1
    - Move the 'old' Hard Drive 1 to Connect to IDE 0:0
    - click OK and the old HD will 'boot up' and run XP.
    - Then go to Disk Management and create a new partition with the new hard drive.

Fantastic program, this Paralelles...