Question about Windows Graphics Drivers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Redshark, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Redshark

Redshark Junior Member

I have Parallels up and running on my new Mac Pro, and I am desperatley wanting to use Parallels across multiple monitors.

It looks like that Windows uses the VgaSave driver. I believe this is the default driver when Windows cannot find the correct driver to use. I was wondering if I could just install Windows drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT cards that were in my Mac Pro, assuming there is a Windows version.

Just wanted to see what people thought about doing this. I have read bad things about changing drivers when Windows is trying to use VgaSave.

Thanks in advance.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Currently, Parallels emulates all the hardware, with hardware support for processor emulation. This means that the guest OS sees the Parallels defined video, sound, etc. Parallels provides Windows drivers for the emulated video hardware as part of the Parallels tools package, and if that driver doesn't support whatever features you need, those features aren't available until Parallels provides them in a future driver release.

It would be a lovely thing if users had the choice of direct hardware pass through for user selected hardware that didn't have to be shared with the host OS. That would give those of us who needed the sandbox functionality of emulation as well as those running trusted software the configuration choices best suited to our needs. Direct pass through for user selected USB devices has been on my wish list from day one, and if you have more than one video card in a Mac Pro, I can see direct pass through of a secondary card as a desirable feature as well, but it isn't happening today, and we can only hope for tomorrow.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

You can get something that looks like multimonotor fullscreen if your multimonitor setup is rectangular.

In XP, set a custom resolution for the total size of your rectangular desktop. For 2x 1024x768 monitors I would use 2048x768. If you make it a little shorter then your real desktop then it wont clash so much with the apple bar at the top of Mac OS. Then set that resolutoin in XP under the display prefrences.

If you switch to fullscreen mode, it will only use one monitor, however if you make it one big window it should be able to streach across multiple monitors.

Unfortunately I can't use this myself becase my monitors are diffrent sizes, so the setup is not rectangular.

4. Redshark

Redshark Junior Member

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunatley my resolution is 1680 x 1050, and I have 6 monitors. I am trying to span across 4 monitors.

5. mosesk

mosesk Bit poster

multiple monitors

how do you set a "custom resolution" in XP?

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

You do it through Parallels configuration in OSX.

7. mosesk

mosesk Bit poster

Thanks for tip.
    I have 2 24" Dell monitors. Native resolution is 1920 X 1200.
    So I set up a custom resolution of 3840 X 1200 hoping it would span the 2 monitors.

Unfortunately XP does not offer that setting tin the Displays Control Panel.