Ejecting the CD

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by danamr, Apr 12, 2006.

1. danamr

danamr Bit poster

How do you get a CD to eject once it is mounted on the virtual computer? The only way I have been able to get that to happen is to shut down.

2. Traj

Traj Member

Since upgrading to Beta3, I have the same problem. Prior to upgrading I was able to eject it by disconnecting the cd drive and pushing the eject button. Try that.

3. kentompkins

kentompkins Bit poster

Me too. I upgraded today and tried to install a 2 disk game. I couldn't eject the first disk so had to give up. I tried to disconnect/connect and nothing worked.

4. Traj

Traj Member

I found a way in XP to eject the cd. Go into explorer and highlight the D: drive. Under the file menu, you'll see the name of the disk in the D drive. A submenu of that will have the "eject" command.
    It worked for me.

Good luck.

5. Ahmedbm

Ahmedbm Bit poster

same problem here...was able to eject before in beta2 by disconnecting and hitting eject. Now its just stuck in there :p

6. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

Eject the CD using Keyboard

Same here, in XP, the eject command doesn't work. Not a problem, just Cntl+Alt back into OSX and hit the eject key (top right)

7. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

Dang talked too fast...

Dang, seemed to work once, and now I have to shut Parallels down to eject...oh well.

Same with the XP screen saver, locked up Parallels and OSX, had to Force Quit twice to break it...

8. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

There are additional menu in Beta3 - VM-Eject CD.

9. danamr

danamr Bit poster

D'oh!
    Thanks Andrew.

10. toky

toky Bit poster

VM-Eject CD, doent work for me, I am trieng to install a two cd game.

So far I have tried:
    VM-Eject CD
    sudo drutil tray eject
    Ejecting from OS X by pressing the eject key next to F12
    Using disk utils and trying to eject from there
    Also tried to eject from Windows using the explorer, right clicking and pressing eject

I am running on a MacBook Pro 1.8
    Standard version, Revision E

11. toky

toky Bit poster

I also tried:
    Connecting an image and then trying to eject
    Ejecting from Windows and OS X with 5 seconds in between

12. brettw

brettw Member

in beta 2 I had to pause the VM ... control click on the CD icon and connect it to a file vice CD/DVD ... then I could use the eject key in OS X to get the CD out. after inserting the new CD control click on the CD icon - select the real CD/DVD and then go run on the VM .... a big pain but I went through 5 CDs on an install like that already. the CD behaviour I've seen in beta 3 is about the same for Solaris CD/DVDs.

13. brettw

brettw Member

in beta 2 I had to pause the VM ... control click on the CD icon and connect it to a file vice CD/DVD ... then I could use the eject key in OS X to get the CD out. after inserting the new CD control click on the CD icon - select the real CD/DVD and then go run on the VM .... a big pain but I went through 5 CDs on an install like that already. the CD behaviour I've seen in beta 3 is about the same for Solaris CD/DVDs.

14. Traj

Traj Member

In my earlier post, about using explorer to eject the cd, it does work. However, I have found that you need to do it twice to make it eject. I can't get vm-eject to work. All that does is make the OSX cd icon disappear, same as pressing the eject key.

15. AtariAge

AtariAge Junior Member

I have also tried to use the VM-Eject CD menu item, using 'drutil tray eject', and pressing the eject key on my keyboard to eject the CD, but I cannot eject the disk CD while Parallels is running (beta 3). I am trying to install an upgrade version of Windows XP and need to be able to insert my Windows 2000 disk during the installer in order to complete installation. Since I'm not yet into Windows, ejecting the disk from Windows is not an option. My system is a Mac Mini Core Duo with the latest firmware update.

..Al

16. bpanders

bpanders Bit poster

I had many problems in Beta1 and Beta2, but was finally able to get SUSE 10 installed in Beta3. To eject the CD I would first pause the VM, then suspend it, then quit Parallels. Then I would eject the cd using the eject button, insert the next cd, wait until it was recognized, then fire up parallels again and immediately resume the VM. I don't know if the pause made any difference, but since it worked the first time, I figured I'd do it for every subsequent disk. I still cannot eject a disk when a VM is running irregardless of whether I use the eject command from the menu or try to do it from within the VM itself. At least it's working now, a significant improvement over the other versions.

Best-
    Brian

17. AtariAge

AtariAge Junior Member

Good suggestion, I'll give this a shot and see if it works, thanks!

..Al

18. Sele

Sele Bit poster

What works for me is to disconnect the cd using the menu. Once this is done, the eject cd command works as advertised.

19. bpanders

bpanders Bit poster

I should mention I had tried this but it didn't work, in any Beta version. Glad it works for someone.

20. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

What has worked for me:

1. HIT F12 or EJECT (eject on mac os x) - eject overly icon appears but the disc remains in.
    2. Iin the VM go to "my computer" and right click the CD drive and select eject. - the disc comes out.

This has worked everytime I tried on beta3.