Networking between VMs

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by reggie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. reggie

reggie Bit poster

Hi all, I'm new to this product and have a question. Is it possible to network between VMs using Parellel Workstation? I currently use VMware on a Windows XP machine. I have a domain setup in Vmware that consists of a Windows 2003 Server Domain Controller (virtual machine) and a Windows XP Client (virtual machine). The XP client is able to authenticate against the Domain Controller as well as receive an IP address via DHCP.

Is this type of setup available with Parallels' product?

Thanks.

Reggie

2. anshar

anshar Member

Of course it is possible. There are 2 options available:

1. Bridged networking - VM becomes node of your real local network. All other real PCs and VMs running on these PCs can see your VM and vise versa.
    2. Host-only netwoking - VM becomes node of virtual local network. Host PC and all other VMs on you host PC can see your VM and vise versa.

3. reggie

reggie Bit poster

Anshar, thanks. I can't wait for the Mac OS X version of this product. It would be nice to be able to do my Windows network testing on a Mac (and get rid of my old a** Dell laptop).

If any one else has any experience with this type of setup in Parellels' software please let me know of any downsides, etc.