Build 1884 and Vista

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by UKP, Sep 7, 2006.

1. UKP

UKP Member

Build 1884 and Vista is now possible!

Now that parallels supports Windows Vista in this new beta, I am having a problem installing it.

I get a BSOD with "*** STOP: 0x000001000B, 0x50434146, 0xFFD01050, 0x00000000)

This is with Vista RC1 32bit.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  2. Ollie

Ollie Junior Member

Wow. I've got exactly the same error message :) Also using the official RC1 from the Microsoft site. I know it's experimental, but I didn't know it whould end that quickly :)

3. aclaver

aclaver Member

Parallels and Vista Beta RC1

A web search reveals that the error message being generated is related to ACPI support. The same message is being posted on the QEMU forums. Seems that the error started with RC1 - Beta 2 installed OK under QEMU

I also am trying to install RC1 and getting the same error. Looks like Parallels was premature. I bet they'll still using Beta 2 for testing...

4. UKP

UKP Member

Yes, I just found a posting on the Qemu forums showing an almost identical error.

Such a shame as I was looking forward to seeing how it performed compared to the native install I have on another partition.

I have sent a bug report on this to Parallels, but I have a feeling they were aware of this problem.

5. julian

julian Bit poster

Beta 2 is installing for me

I had the exact same experience with Pre-RC1 and RC1, but the copy of Beta 2 I had knocking around on my external HD boots and is currently being installed, I'll tell you how it goes.

6. buxtons

buxtons Bit poster

I got Vista booted without errors here. However, the tools do not install and I get no network devices and the audio is horrid.

I should note this is with Beta 2

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  7. mrman5917

mrman5917 Bit poster

I can verify the same action using Vista RC1. I will look around and see if I can find the ISO for the Beta2 or Pre-RC1, do an install and try an upgrade.

8. Wonni

Wonni Bit poster

Hello,

I had the same problem. After this I had the idea to install the old beta 2 build 5384 version and it works. Now, I will check the upgrade procedure to upgrade on rc1...

Wonni

9. Retro

Retro Bit poster

The exact same error occurs in Q, but everything is fine via Bootcamp.

10. Ollie

Ollie Junior Member

I can verify that. The beta2 works. RC1 not unfortunately.

11. smakofsky

smakofsky Bit poster

Same problem here, tried installing from both a dvd and iso.

Trying 5384 now.

12. smakofsky

smakofsky Bit poster

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=314830

Looks like the error is:
    "The ACPI Bios in this system is not fully compliant to the specification. Please read the Readme.txt for possible workarounds, or contact your system vendor for an updated bios."

Bummer. 5384 looks like it'll install, but RC1 is soooooo much better.

13. steve1496

steve1496 Bit poster

To those who got Vista installed (Beta 2 or RC1):
    What computer are you using, and does Aero work?

14. Retro

Retro Bit poster

I installed it on my MacBook and Aero is working, using RC1 :D

15. steve1496

steve1496 Bit poster

In Parallels? Care to post how you did it to help others experiencing problems?

16. Retro

Retro Bit poster

Oh, not in parallels no. In Bootcamp, should have stated that sorry.

17. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

Interesting that under Boot Camp, RC1 also BSOD's close to the completion of installation. I tried to reboot and selected the Vista partition to continue the install. After what seemed like an eternity of a black screen with nothing on it, I rebooted and tried other partitions, finding I corrupted the install and had to revert to XP.

I tried it again but this time let it run on that black screen as long as it wanted to. After several minutes, the install started up again and ran until completion, which was only for another few minutes before it finished. I now have a working RC1 on Boot Camp on a Mac Pro.

So after a crash with Parallels, what happens if you continue with the install?

18. smakofsky

smakofsky Bit poster

You can't continue. It doesnt even start to setup.

19. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

Has anyone installed the Parallel Tools in Vista? Or are those only for XP?

20. Wonni

Wonni Bit poster

Yes,

you must install the Parallels Tools step by step, because the prltools.exe doesnt work in Vista. Mount the Parallels Tools and go to system control and update the driver (Video, Sound, Mouse and Network) and go to the folder on your CD-ROM. That´s it.

Wonni