Solaris 10 6_06 release :)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rjgebis, Jun 26, 2006.

1. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Just want to let you guys know that 6/06 release (released today) works very well for me under Parallels GA. So far no problems for me.

2. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

what mouse driver are you using? I've just tried installing and its not recognizing my MBP mouse at all.

3. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

PS/2 kdmouse. I think it is option number 8. in xorgconfig.

4. dafuser

dafuser Bit poster

I tried to install from an iso image and although the install began, I had no mouse or keyboard available. Could not complete the install without a keyboard. I'm running a MacBook with 2GB RAM.

Any ideas how to get Solaris to recognize the Mac keyboard and mouse? Did I miss something when I created the Solaris VM?

5. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

not sure. I did not do anything special. But I did install in text mode. After installation you will have to navigate using keyboard and edit your xorg.conf file to enable PS2 mouse

6. dafuser

dafuser Bit poster

I'll try another install tomorrow and see what happens. The first time I tried the install I had no mouse or keyboard from the very begining.

I could not select any type of install becuause I couldn't select anything. It just defaulted to the default install. I tried using a DVD image, tomorrow I'll try using the CD's I created from the CD ISO images.

I have managed to install WinXP and SUSE without any problems, maybe tomorrow I can add Solaris 10 to my successful VM installs. :)

7. addiecool

addiecool Bit poster

could anyone let me know what video settings you used. I have a Intel 20" imac. but whenever I select a video driver it fails. i am new to solaris. any help would be appreciated

8. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

You need to be using the VESA driver.

There are a number of posts on the forum covering this, a search should turn up one that even includes a working xorg config.

9. forthy

forthy Bit poster

Does not work here

Just tried the same, but no success. Installation went fine, but Solaris won't boot. Grub Menu is displayed, booting starts, showing the copyright message and sits there forever then. :-((

Solaris 10 pre 06/06 worked fine (except the normal keyboard and X quirks...)

Regards, Forthy

10. furfurfur

furfurfur Member

Hi All

Yep, I'm seeing this, about 50% of the time when booting on my MBP. it will just hang after the Solaris copyright banner - no disk activity but the host's CPU spins at 100%.

Anyone else see this?

James

11. scotty1024

scotty1024 Bit poster

The best way I've found to cure this booting issue is to stop the VM, not reset it.

I've also found you need 256MB of VM to get reliable boots but I still can't get it to come out of pause reliably. :-(

Shutdown/stop's are also problematical for me. I often wind up doing safe boots and rebuilding the boot archive for some reason I haven't sussed out yet.

Scotty

12. rinconj

rinconj Member

any good package management on solaris? do I have to use pkg-* CLI to install new stuffs?

13. paseng

paseng Bit poster

14. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

'fraid so, though some Sun packages have an installer, and hide all the pkgadd stuff.

15. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Here is what I have noticed. When starting Solaris I have to have "mouse focus in Solaris" to complete full boot. (I am talking here after full installation) . If I do not have focus in while starting Solaris will hang there for ever.

Robert