VT-X disabled by firmware update?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by elektroholunder, Apr 6, 2006.

1. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

Select the 1st item in the Apple menu (About This Mac)

Click on the More Info... button

Is the Boot ROM version MM11.0055.B03?

If not, visit the following URL to read about the new Boot ROM version you may need:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macminiearly2006firmwareupdate101.html

You can't tell if you have the updated Boot ROMs by using Software Update

Let me know whether or not this works for you

Cheers!

2. ts77

ts77 Bit poster

I tried that, upgraded the firmware and I still get the same error-message (vt-x included but disabled by bios) as before :(.

3. mikeg

mikeg Bit poster

Played around some more and found a way to get Windows XP Home installed and working, though I still get the firmware disabled message.

For others trying this here is what I did:

I restarted the process setting up a Win XP install this time, with no unusual settings other than defaults in the wizard. I set the boot to go from CDROM first rather than HD. Saved settings. Inserted the XP Home (Upgrade) CD. Clicked the green start triangle, and this time it started the install. At some point it asks to have you insert a valid Win 95 or Win 98 install disk (since this was an XP Home Upgrade disk). I needed to take control of the cursor (Ctrl-Alt) and used the disk icon at the lower part of the window to disconnect the CDROM. I could then see it on the desktop and eject it. I then inserted a Win 95 Install disk, and used that same icon to Connect it, clicked on the windows install window, and told it to proceed. Well that didn't work since it somehow didn't recognize my Win 95 Install disk that came with Virtual PC. So I proceeded to eject that one and inserted a Win 98 Upgrade disk and it accepted that. It then proceeded to nicely install XP Home. The time it projected was much more than it actually took...about 3x faster. After shutting down win xp, I then updated the VM to have more memory and to boot from HD first...saved then restarted with no issues. I used the Windows display control panel to set my screen size to a larger 1280x960. All seems to be functional, so I guess my next step is to find a virus program cheaply before this thing gets infected...heard the life is only 20 minutes without a windoz condom.

Just a start, but I am very impressed I got this far!

4. kdawg

kdawg Bit poster

Mini Core Duo and VT-x issues

I just want to chime in as well. When I first got my Mini and installed Parallels and WXP everything was working fine. Then the next day I got the VT-x error (capable but disabled in firmware). I had at this point updated everything with the Apple Software Update menu. However it did not update the firmware to v1.0.1 (MM11.0055.B03) so I downloaded that and installed it. Nothing, still says VT-x is disabled.

For the record the serial number of my Mini is G86180ZEU36 and the SMC firmware is 1.3f4.
    WXP is XP Home (SP2) with all applicable Windows updates applied to that as well.

So is this an Apple thing or a Parallels thing? Anyone?

5. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

Since updating my SMC firmware and Boot ROM, I haven't had a problem with the VT-x error. HOWEVER, I also now put my Mini to sleep at least 1x per day. Maybe the combination of new firmware AND sleep does the trick.

To check whether Parallels is in VT-x mode:

Parallels Desktop: About Parallels Desktop: More Info...
    Virtualization Mode: Intel VT-x [if VT-x is working]

6. kdawg

kdawg Bit poster

VT-x working now

VT-x is working now but I haven't changed anything since my last post. What I did do, because I noticed some people mention it, is unplug my Mini for about 5 minutes to drain the power. Now Parallels Desktop for Mac seems to be working with VT-x, before and after sleep. Just wanted to pass it along. I'm thinking that after updating the Mini's firmware with v1.0.1 (MM11.0055.B03) you need to unplug it after for it to really take effect. Although Apple's firmware doesn't require you to unplug it.

7. Calaban

Calaban Bit poster

Problem fixed!

Had the same problems as previous mentioned here. Virtualization was enabled after install and then after reboot had software emulation. Followed this method:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread577.html
    Problem solved! :)

Thanks Joshua for software patch and monoclast for the great instructions! :D

8. monoclast

monoclast Member

How to Enable VT-x (aka VTX) with rEFIt and vmx-var-set.efi

I've seen a bunch of instructions here for doing this; but all of them seemed to leave out one or two crucial details. So I'll try to provide those who need it a more complete list of steps to get this done. Please refer to this thread for complete instructions showing how to enable VT-x permanently on your Intel Mac:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread3273.html

9. bergeron76

bergeron76 Bit poster

Related to Power Save ?

I just experienced this _exact_ error on my Mac MINI (boot rom: MM11.004B.B00). I just upgraded my Ram from 512 to 2GB (for the purpose of running Parallels!). I just booted it up (without the cover on), and I got this VT-X error. At first, I was thinking this error was related to the RAM that I just installed, or that it was related to modifying my Mac Mini.

However - Last night, I disabled power save on it and this is the first time I've run Parallels since then. So it could be caused by disabling power save (entirely/Never) on the Mini.

Does this shed any light on things? Is there a fix for this?

10. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

I had a very similar experience. I updated the SMC firmware & Boot ROMs and still had a problem. I may have had one of the two Energy Saver options set to something other than Never. Now, I still put my Mac Mini to sleep, but I do so manually. I leave both of the options in the panel on Never.

In summary:

1) SMC firmware update; 2) Boot ROM update; 3) Energy Saver panel set to Never; 4) Set the Mac Mini to sleep every day

11. bergeron76

bergeron76 Bit poster

I just got my mini a few weeks ago. It's boot rom version: MM11.004B.B00; smc version 1.3f4.

VT-x is supported (reported by CPUID), but locked in MSR and can't be used

macmini:/tmp/vtx-check root# sysctl machdep.cpu.features
    machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON VMX EST TM2 TPR

12. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

13. adamjroth

adamjroth Bit poster

Mac Pro - VTx now working

I was having the same problem with my Mac Pro -- then I put it to sleep (click the blue apple, 'Sleep'). Wake it up. Restart windows, and VTx is enabled.

14. hchen

hchen Bit poster

Additional Mac Mini to be tested

- Mac mini (Core Solo) after Mac mini (late 2006) Firmware Update 1.x (firmware MM11_0055_08B)