Can't print to USB printer

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by scotty321, Sep 7, 2006.

1. scotty321

scotty321 Member

Hello there,

We just downloaded & installed the brand new Parallels Desktop update that you came out with this week.

However, we are having a serious amount of trouble when trying to print to our USB printer, the HP PhotoSmart C4180 MultiFunction printer:

We are getting BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH every single time we try to print!

We are running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 inside of Parallels Desktop (Build 1884 Release Candidate 9/5/06) on a 20" 2.0 GHz Intel iMac. Parallels Tools are installed also.

We installed the latest drivers from HP, and we setup the USB options in the Parallels configuration screen properly. We have enabled USB and have selected the "autoconnect at startup" option. (This is also a brand new install of Windows XP Home Edition SP 2, straight out of a retail box.)

However, almost every single time that we try to connect to the USB printer from the "Devices-->USB-->Photosmart C4100 Series", we get an error message from Parallels which says "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually." This happens 90% of the itme. Nothing else is checked underneath the "Devices->USB" menu.

Then, after unplugging & plugging in the printer several times from the USB port, and turning the printer on & off again, we can sometimes LUCKILY get Parallels to connect to our printer. When this happens, Windows sees our printer and every time we go to print something, we get a blue screen of death and Windows XP restarts.

Of course, the Mac has no problem printing to this very same printer from within Mac OS X.

We even enabled Printer Sharing from within Mac OS X, and installed Bonjour for Windows within Windows XP. We go through the Bonjour printer configuration assistant, it finishes successfully, and then we see the printer inside our "Printers and Faxes" control panel. But when we go to print to that printer, Windows tells us that no printers can be found. At least there's not a blue screen of death that time, but a very similar problem.

We need to print, but we can't seem to find any way to do it with Parallels.

This very same printer printed just fine on a standalone Windows XP machine. And of course, it prints just fine on Mac. It's just when it's trying to print from Windows XP within Parallels.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. scotty321

scotty321 Member

Update to this problem: We downgraded to the previous version of Parallels and now we no longer get the error message from Parallels when trying to connect to our printer. We now see a checkmark next to our printer in the "Devices-->USB" menu.

When we connect successfully, Windows XP tells us that "This device can perform faster. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a high-speed USB 2.0 port." We close that message, but then Windows XP STILL cannot see our printer! When we try to add a new local printer, Windows XP does not see our PhotoSmart C4180 at all!

Is it time for us to return Parallels to the store and get our money back? Boot Camp is looking like a better & better option, as each hour passes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Scott

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Yes. Don't try to use a USB printer directly in the guest. Set it up in OSX as a network printer, share it on the network, and let the guest use it over the network.

It isn't EVER going to work as a guest-attached device until / unless Parallels manages to implement complete USB passthrough of user selected USB devices. AFAIK, this is possible, and less difficult than the approach they seem to be taking of virtualizing and emulating devices, but for some strange reason (given the USB troubles expressed on the forums and the constant requests) they have neither implemented passthrough, nor said they won't.

One of those would be nice. How about it Parallels team. Is it going to happen or not? If not, please tell us.

4. scotty321

scotty321 Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I finally managed to get it to *PARTIALLY* work by installing Bonjour for Windows and turning on Printer Sharing in Mac OS X. Apple to the rescue once again! Of course, leave it to Apple to fill in the gaps.

HOWEVER, this is only a partial solution because it only worked using the generic PostScript driver and didn't work using the printer's native drivers. So we have a USB multifunction device that doesn't scan, doesn't fax, and doesn't recognize any of the unique features that come with this printer.

Parallels, what the hell is wrong with you guys? You guys are basically FALSE ADVERTISING your product, because your product DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED!

The company that makes Parallels just made over $7 million after only one month of sales of Parallels Desktop, yet their product does not work as advertised. If somebody gave me $7 million, you can bet your ass I could figure out a solution on how to make USB printing work.

We are absolutely livid about this. Not only are we returning Parallels Desktop, but we are going to inquire with our attorney about a class-action lawsuit because of the false advertising that NovaSoft has done to the Mac populace on this issue.

I love how the parallels team has been completely quiet about this, just ignoring this problem completely.

Thanks,
    Scott

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

I guess your attitude and mine are a bit different. I've never, in the several decades I've been using computers and developing software, seen a program that does everything it's expected to. If you want to start a class action suit, why not pick on a company with the resources to make it worthwhile? Pick any big company and find a product flaw -- they all have them, including Microsoft and Apple, etc. I'd have to guess you'll be paying your lawyer more than Parallels cost to tell you you don't have a case worth bringing.

No one ever promised complete USB device passthrough, despite the fact that it's been a subject of many posts on these forums, and they've been asked many times. USB support keeps improving, but not fast enough to keep me happy. Nevertheless, absent USB passthrough (How about it Parallels?) your printer is effectively a network device, and you should be able to do anything with it that you could if it were on another physical computer and you were accessing it over a network.

IMHO, cooling off a bit would be a good thing. They keep improving it. The improvements are coming along at what seems to me to be a reasonable speed. Although I'd certainly like to see faster progress, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  6. scotty321

scotty321 Member

Hahaha... you're probably right. I should probably cool off a little bit. :)

I was pretty upset b/c i spent all night long (7 hours!!) at a client's location -- who just switched from Windows to Mac and needs to keep running a few pieces of Windows software -- and they kept growling at me all night about "FALSE ADVERTISING" on Parallels' end, and how upset they were at Parallels. Of course, Boot Camp is probably the most reliable solution at this point, but this whole Parallels fiasco made me look pretty bad & made me look like an incompetent consultant for referring this product.

Thanks!!!

7. jrnaismith

jrnaismith Bit poster

Similar problem here !

Hi Guys

Dont know if you are still monotoring this thread......but I have the same problem with this printer also, I have tried it with both XP Home and Pro but get the blue sreen of death each time.
    Also Bonjour will not work for me.....after the intial setup I can print a test page fine from windows, every print job from that point foward will stop with an incorrect paper size message and jam the printer.

Any ideas ?

James

8. DaveB

DaveB Member

Check out this thread located as a stickie. It works using the manufactorers\' driver, not the generic HP as suggested by Desktop!.

"USB Printing problem solved! (Generic solution?)"

DaveB

9. Mr SA

Mr SA Member

10. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Here is my suggestion if you are doing this for "several" Macs.

Purchase an Airport Express.

Plug the HP into the Express and configure it to join an existing network.

Give it a manul ISP in the range of the router being used to connect to the internet (I assume all these are connected to internet via Airport Card).

Add the printer to the Mac side using Printer Setup Utility. It will show up as a Bonjour printer and ALL options will be available. Make sure Printer sharing is on. Now repeat for all Macs.

Assuming drivers are already loaded. On the WInXP side. Make sure USB autoconnect is on. There is no need to select it from the USB icon after windows starts. In Control panel, New printer, check local printer, uncheck automatic detect.

Select create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP.

At PrinterName/ IP Address type the IP address you set for the Airport Express.
    Select Standard Generic Network Card, then FINISH.

Your new printer should now work flawlessly using the drivers made for the printer. Since the printer is on the network ALL Macs will now have access to it under OSX or WinXP.

I strongly suggest staying away from Bonjour on the WinXP side UNLESS you like PS Generic. Besides, a gludge is a gludge is a gludge.

ajm

PS
    You may want to look at this thread (just found it)
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread4102.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  11. jrnaismith

jrnaismith Bit poster

Thank you very much, the link posted by MR SA did the trick.