Sound output disapears while using WinXP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thegoofs@mac.com, Sep 8, 2006.

1. thegoofs@mac.com

thegoofs@mac.com Junior Member

Hello all -

I am having a problem with Parallels where the Guest OS stops playing sound after a while. Sound works again after re-booting the Guest OS, but then disapears again later.

Any thoughts?
    - -
    William

2. stormj

stormj Member

I have experienced this same issue. I cannot isolate the problem. I tried disabling and then re-enabling the sound driver in the device manager, with no luck. It just starts up again sometimes. I have not noted this yet in build 1884, but have only been running it for a short time.

3. thegoofs@mac.com

I am still on build 1848.

A little more info:

It seems that the sound only cuts out after using some type of multimedia applicatiuon, i.e. Windows Media Player, Quicktime movie, or even a Flash movie in a browser.

My specs:

MacBook Pro 2.16MHz
    2GB Ram
    928 MB alocated to Parallels. (only 1 VM)

4. catsbreath

catsbreath Bit poster

Sound Quits under Windows XP

I just downloaded and tried Parallels for the first time today and had the same thing happen. I don't know what build I'm on, I suppose it's the latest. Here's my set up:

On a MacBook Pro with 2 Gb RAM (1 GB assigned to Parallels)
    Mac OS 10.4.7
    Running Internet Explorer 6.0, trying to watch a webcast. The sound quits after a while.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  5. mr_bill

mr_bill Bit poster

I found after moving from build 1862 to 1884 that I had no sound whatsoever, even though Devices->Sound was set to Active in Parallels (and I had installed the Parallels tools). In the WinXP Sound control panel, the default device was missing if I remember correctly. I uninstalled and went back to 1862 and sound came back, no problems since then.

(MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1024 MB to Parallels, 924 MB to VM)

6. catsbreath

catsbreath Bit poster

Mr. Bill,

Ok, that sounds hopeful. Two questions from this rank newbie:

1) Are previous builds of Parallels available anywhere?

2) When I uninstall Parallels and reinstall it, I will of course have to reinstall Windows. Are there any problems with entering the Key twice? I've heard MS is a bear for that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance.

7. catsbreath

catsbreath Bit poster

I just checked and the build I downloaded is 1848. Do you know where I can get 1862?

8. mr_bill

mr_bill Bit poster

Parallels beta archives & Win XP product key

Responding to both your posts here. 1848 is the latest official release (AFAIK); 1862 and 1884 are public betas. You might want to keep an eye on the announcements thread (http://forum.parallels.com/forum27.html) as well as the updates page (http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/update/). Build 1884 is what's currently posted there, and is where I picked up 1862, which unfortunately no longer seems to be available (unless there's a public archive I don't know about).

Re #2, if you've already created a disk image with build 1848 and installed Windows onto it, keep it around! That image is still usable with subsequent builds (at least so far). No need to re-install Windows! All the same, should you ever need to reinstall, there shouldn't be a problem with you re-entering the key if you have a valid license and you're reinstalling on the same "machine". Entering the product key is not the same as registration with MS, which I believe is a choice you can opt out of and I wouldn't do more than once anyway.

- Bill

9. thegoofs@mac.com

I should have noted when I started this thread, I am on build 1848.

Same problem. Sound disapears after playing multimedia files for a short time.

William

10. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i had the same issue in 1848 but 1862 seemed to fix all the sound issues I had. It would disappear after a short time in 1848 but 1862 doesnt suffer that problem.

11. catsbreath

catsbreath Bit poster

Thanks but...

I got bootcamp to work (beautifully, I might add) and I think I'll wait for Parallels to get more stable before trying it again. Actually, I'm really waiting for Crossover. Now THAT's an elegant solution!