No Sound on iMac in Beta 3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, Apr 12, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

What should I do to enable? The Windows control panel in XP Home shows no sound output device under most of the tabs, Under the last tab it shows some device on a CD-Rom and it seems to feel that it is enabled. No sound scheme is loaded either.

Help! So excited to get sound!

Brilliant job turning out another beta already! Go Parallels team!

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did you add sound device to VM configuration?

3. sublinear

sublinear Bit poster

I'm having this same problem on my Macbook Pro. I added the sound device in my VM configuration, and when Windows XP boots it lists "Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller" in the Device Manager, but I don't hear any sound! Sound isn't muted in Windows, nor in Parallels, so I don't know what's going on. So close, yet so far away... ;*(

4. netdog

netdog Hunter

Thank you! Now I have sound!

There are some strange noise (hums, clicks) but I do have sound.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. sublinear

sublinear Bit poster

OK, I lied -- After a rebooted my Macbook I now have sound, although it's choppy at the beginning (as you said it might be ;)

6. bdkennedy1

bdkennedy1 Junior Member

I get sound fine but it's choppy 50% of the time. Sooo close...

7. angstmann

angstmann Bit poster

I remember the sound being choppy on VirtualPC on PPC processors too... :) So nothing to worry about...:)

8. bdkennedy1

bdkennedy1 Junior Member

Well, that was Virtual PC and very slow. Why bother implementing sound if it's not going to work right?

9. mike3k

mike3k Member

I find that I can improve the sound quality and make it much less choppy by turning off digital output.

To do that, open the Sound control panel & click the Advanced button in Device Volume. If there's no Advanced button in the master volume window, select Advanced Controls in the Options menu. Click the Advanced button and uncheck 'enable digital output'.

10. rtamesis

rtamesis Junior Member

Make sound device installation a default

I think that the sound device installation should be made a default installation in Beta 4 when a new VM machine is created.

11. sublinear

sublinear Bit poster

Hear, hear. I agree!

12. loughkb@yahoo.com

loughkb@yahoo.com Member

I don't see any apparent negative impact of enabling the sound device, so I agree it should be added by default.

Also, I am completely blown away by the performance of sound playback. I'm writing this in Safari, mail.app is running, along with a few other osx apps doing various things. WinXp is running in the VM, with winamp playing an internet stream perfectly. Perfectly!. I'm running "Load in Dock" to watch cpu load, and both cores are right down at the bottome of the graph, around %10 each.

This is on a dual core Mac Mini with 2gig of ram.

Again, I am completely amazed at how seemless the audio is from the windows session. I've run streaming video within the VM as well, without a hitch, not a single drop out, and cpu utilization that was half of what the mac windows media player needed running under rosetta.

Even in this early beta, parallels is now a solid usable program. Once USB and Firewire are working, it will be nearly perfect from my point of view. Best $39 I've spent in a long while.

Oh yeah, Parallels Dev team, listen to this idea. I know full screen is coming eventually, and I look forward to it. How about a bit of eye candy, just to make it mac-stylish? An easy way to switch from the full screen VM to the full screen OSX that uses a similar transition to fast user switching? Technical details aside, just think of how impressive it would be for a potential switcher when you hit a key combination and the windows screen rotates out while the osx screen rotates in. Tap the keys, and roll back over to the still running windows.

Wouldn't that just be the coolest? (grin)

Kevin L.

13. knot

knot Junior Member

I am not having sound success on my MBP with Build 1658.42. I've rebooted my Mac. I've verified the "PC speaker support enabled" flag is set in the VM Flags pane. The Sound option in the Devices menu remains dimmed, and Windows reports No Audio Device. What am I missing?

14. Mindbend

Mindbend Bit poster

No succes here either. iMac 20".

What exactly do I need to do to "activate" sound in the VM? I see the VM flag tab with PC Speaker Support enabled is already on.

Do I have to install a new VM or can I adjust my existing one?

I'm running XP Svc Pack 2.

15. neilio

neilio Member

Same issue here, 20" iMac and Windows XP SP2 - no sound is working even though I have the sound output checked in the VM configuration.

16. netdog

netdog Hunter

I think you need to select "Edit" with the VM loaded (but not with Windows booted) and ADD a sound device. As I remember, it was pretty obvious from that point on.

17. knot

knot Junior Member

That did it for me...thanks!

18. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

Could you tell me how to add sound device?
    If I press "Add.." button at the Configuration Editor, then I only could see
    Hard Disk
    CD/DVD-ROM
    Serial Port
    Parallel Port
    from the Available Hardware.
    If I press "Add device instantly", it will just add the device that currently selected and hightlighted.

How can I add sound device?

19. wesley

wesley Pro

ZeeG, are you sure you have beta3? It's there for me.

By the way, there's about half a second delay with sound. While the sound performance itself in terms of CPU usage is admirable, such delay is a grave distraction when attempting to watch video. I hope this gets resolved before GA. I'm thinking that this is related to the stuttering that' happening when the sound starts playing.

20. iMaccoreduo

iMaccoreduo Bit poster

Hi guys,

As was stated by a lot of folks here, you set up Sound through VM. Even if the sound device in Windows XP is not muted, make sure it is not muted on your Mac OS side. That's what happended to me. If you mute on Mac OS X side, it is muted in the VM side (guest OS). In this case I have Windows XP SP2.