Can only connect to Google.com

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by khkremer, Sep 10, 2006.

1. khkremer

khkremer Bit poster

I have a weird networking problem: After setting up a virtual machine with build 1884 on a Mac Pro - using WinXP Pro with SP2, I can connect to google.com and can perform searches, but I cannot connect to any other web page. When I click on any of the links reported by google, I see a "waiting for <url>..." in Firefox, but it never returns. The same happens when I type in a URL. Internet Explorer gives me the same behavior.
    I do have access to my local subnet however, and I can use ftp to machines on the Internet. I've disabled the firewall in WinXP, so that's not an issue.

Any ideas about what I can try to debug this problem?

Thanks.

2. Krakerman

Krakerman Junior Member

Almost everyone is having that issue!

Parallels is still buggy so hopefully they get this fixed soon.

3. khkremer

khkremer Bit poster

Thanks

Good, so it's not just my system :)

4. Krakerman

Krakerman Junior Member

Funny how you can search all over google and work fine, but no other sites work. I found only one other site that worked, but only partially.

This is a big bug since the main reason I purchased Parallels was i needed to access the Internet from within XP. So it's useless to me until they fix it. (waste of $80) plus they really ned to implemement file transfer from Mac to PC drag and drop style and I'm not talking text or graphics I'm talking about exe's.

5. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I have never heard of that problem. I have excellent browsing capability, but don't ask me how, just lucky I guess.

: )

6. Krakerman

Krakerman Junior Member

Do you have the new Mac Pro Xeon? This is were the problem I think lies. Everyone I see post on these forums that have this type of problem seem to be with the Mac Pro Xeon

7. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

I wish I had a Xeon system, but on the other hand, I don't do too much video editing these days (and the little I do works fine enough on the iMac), so I'm not sure if I really need all that speed anymore.

8. Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens Bit poster

Had this same problem on my Mac Pro, toggling the MTU setting between Jumbo and Standard as described in this post fixes it for me every time. Note that the guest OS needs to be running while you reset the MTU setting for it to take effect.

9. artpease

artpease Bit poster

Thank you Matt Stevens for referencing that thread, I have bumped it pleading to make it a sticky...