No network/internet access

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by marc1, Sep 10, 2006.

1. marc1

marc1 Bit poster

When I launch Parallels, I no longer have internet access on the Windows side. I just moved apartments and it worked at my old house, but for some reason, it does not work now.

I have an iMac directly connected to my cable modem (I used to have a router at my previous apartment).

Under "Network Connections" on Windows, I have a Local Area Connection that shows "limited or no connectivity." Under details, it shows an ip address of 169.254.216.xxx.

Anyone give me any idea why this is no longer working?

2. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I assume you only have one IP address, as you have a direct connection to the cable modem. The default setting is Bridged ethernet, which requires each virtual machine to have its own IP address. You will therefore need to switch to use Host-only networking to share a single address. I don't know the details of this option, as I used Bridged ethernet with a router, so you may need to read the manual or wait for another reply ....

3. marc1

marc1 Bit poster

Ok, under my Properties View I have Bridged Ethernet or Host-Only Networking. It was on Bridged Ethernet and now I switched it to Host-Only.

I also turned on "Internet Sharing" on my OSX System Preferences. I have share your connection from "built-in ethernet" selected and Ethernet Adaptor (en2) selected under "to computers using:"

Is that correct?

My network connection now shows that it is connected, but when I open my browser, I can't access any web pages?!

What am I missing?

4. marc1

marc1 Bit poster

I think all i was missing was a restart. it now seems to be working.

5. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Yes, that's my recommended fix (see elsewhere i the forum), and it works for me. You can also toggle the settings in the System Preferences—>Network—>Ethernet—>Manually to Jumbo and back again to Standard (while you are logged in with your VM) and it should work.