Paralles and Airport on Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Bjoernb, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Eprom

Eprom Bit poster

I've installed beta 2 and now (after a kernel panic) I can check the WiFi box, but I still can't connect to my Airport?

2. Eprom

Eprom Bit poster

After several restarts -without changing any settings!- I suddenly had an internet connection thru my Aiport. So now I can look for some software to test.;)

3. Mindbend

Mindbend Bit poster

I have an iMac 20" with 2 GB RAM. I'm running XP SVC PK 2 VM.

The Airport connection did not work for me either at first. In fact, XP wouldn't boot. It would go through the opening mostly black screen with the XP logo and then go completely black forever. Rebooting the VM and Parallels didn't work. FInally I switched the thernet option to Wired and XP booted fine. Then I changed it back to wirless and it magically worked.

At first Explorer didn't recognize the connection, but when I told it to "try again" all is good.

Impressive.

If they can just get this all into a slightly more simplified, brainless install, it will be the bomb. As it is, it's way cool.

4. maddogjwn13

maddogjwn13 Bit poster

Mac Pro bridging problem

I have a new Mac Pro and I keep getting errors with bridging my internet connection saying that the IP address is already in use by another computer on the network. The one assigned to the Windows XP vm I'm trying to use is identical to the Mac's IP address. How can I solve this?

5. redkraken

redkraken Bit poster

"wifi" button? I have a downloaded-tonight build, and there's no WiFi box anywhere that I can find... Can someone point me to the exact location it should be showing in please?

6. atknapp

atknapp Bit poster

Greetings All,

Just bought Parallels (Build 1970) and am running it on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (2.33GHz/3GB RAM).

When I'm at home on my Airport wireless network, the Internet connection 'bridges' just fine into XP, I've downloaded all Windows Updates and surfed the Net on IE7.

(In Parallels Desktop, the "Network Adapter" setting is set to "Bridged Ethernet" and "Default")

I'm now at my office, where there's also a wireless network, and my Mac is configured to use it with the a) Network Name, b) Network Password, and c) my MAC Address is 'registered' with the network admin so that the laptop is recognized.

However, when I switch to XP (via Parallels), the office wireless network isn't recognized, and I can't get online. I have tried to switch the "Network Adapter" setting to "en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter", and there was still no change when I started up XP in the office.

Questions:
    - Is there a different (virtual) MAC Address for the XP machine that I need to 'register' with my network admin?
    - Is there a different setting in "Network Adapter" that I need to use for the office versus home?
    - Do I need to create a new "Network Connection" in XP for the office with details specific to it?

Congrats to the Parallels gurus for making an amazing app, and any help advice would be welcome! Please keep it to English suitable for an advanced Mac-Head, but a fledgling XP user, though <smile>....

Best,
    Alexander.

7. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

I am guessing as I do not use my MBPro for work, but having a Win Notebook, I had to do #3 above!

So I think for your Mac it would be the same.

ajm

8. palter

palter Hunter

The virtual machine has its own MAC address. To find it, shut down the virtual machine, edit th configuration, select the network adaptor and click on the Advanced Tab.

9. Tweakman

Tweakman Bit poster

VM won't connect to non-home network

Hello ATKNAPP,
    You actually have the exact same problem as I do, except I now have build 3188 and i haven't checked (more like I don't know how to check) that my VM MAC Address is registered w/ our company's network adapter.

Have you resolved your problem? My MIS dep't is stumped on this one, they don't use Macs.

What's most strange to me is that I've connected to the internet through my VM internet on my company's network before and it now won't function. I believe the VM is detecting our level B IP address, but it is not seeing me.

Your success will lead to mine too.:)
    thank you,
    Matt

Just bought Parallels (Build 1970) and am running it on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (2.33GHz/3GB RAM).

When I'm at home on my Airport wireless network, the Internet connection 'bridges' just fine into XP, I've downloaded all Windows Updates and surfed the Net on IE7.

(In Parallels Desktop, the "Network Adapter" setting is set to "Bridged Ethernet" and "Default")

I'm now at my office, where there's also a wireless network, and my Mac is configured to use it with the a) Network Name, b) Network Password, and c) my MAC Address is 'registered' with the network admin so that the laptop is recognized.

However, when I switch to XP (via Parallels), the office wireless network isn't recognized, and I can't get online. I have tried to switch the "Network Adapter" setting to "en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter", and there was still no change when I started up XP in the office.

Questions:
    - Is there a different (virtual) MAC Address for the XP machine that I need to 'register' with my network admin?
    - Is there a different setting in "Network Adapter" that I need to use for the office versus home?
    - Do I need to create a new "Network Connection" in XP for the office with details specific to it?