iMAC reboots prior to install of Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mac newbie, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Mac newbie

Mac newbie Bit poster

Hi,
    It appears that quite a few of you, have experienced this unpleasant kernel panic thing with Parallels Desktop. In my case, I can create a VM but when I attemp to install XP, I get a message stating that I have to restart my computer. After my mac comes back up again, that's when I get a report showing all the kernel panic meesages. My Parallel's build is 1848.2. Does any one of you know how to get this fixed? Please let me know. Thanks.:confused:

2. amin

amin Member

I don't know how to fix the underlying issue, but you can get your Mac out of the endless kernel panic cycle by booting into safe mode and then deleting Parallels from the /Library/StartupItems folder.

3. jmarkwhite

jmarkwhite Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem with my new core 2 duo. Also, the quick-start guide tells me that when I'm ready to install XP I should "choose default CD/DVD-ROM from the Devices menu" but all the choices are grayed out and nothing can be selected. And when I try to start the VM, I get the curtain of death.

4. jmarkwhite

jmarkwhite Bit poster

5. Mac newbie

Mac newbie Bit poster

Hi Mr jmarkwhite, I get the very same greyed menu options under devices and then the curtain of death. How did you get around that? Please keep me posted. I am really interested to know if and how you managed to complete the challenge. Thanks for sharing.

6. STim

STim Bit poster

Hey guys,

Please read this thread.

Best regards,
    Tim

7. jmarkwhite

jmarkwhite Bit poster

Installing build 1884 (at the link in my prior post) fixed it. The options under the "Devices" menu were still greyed out, but when I started the VM it started up just fine. I've installed XP and it's been running fine so far. It seems that at least as far as the new iMacs are concerned, build 1884 works. I'd try downloading that, and ignore the greyed out options in the Devices menu. Good luck!