USB issues under build 1884

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pderby, Sep 11, 2006.

1. pderby

pderby Member

Have two USB devices that still don't work under build 1884. One is a Celestron SkyScout the other is an SBIG 402ME Camera. While realizing these are specialized devices I just want to get this info to the Parallels Development Team in hopes that USB passthrough can get robust enough that these and other devices like Garmin GPSs, etc. all work.

Also, maybe we as a community, can put the USB issues for build 1884 under this one thread (or a link from your thread to this thread) so that the picture evolves on what does and doesn't work under build 1884. That may help to determine the underlying patterns for build 1884.

When the next build gets released we can start another "USB issues under buld xxxx thread".

In my situation for the devices mentioned above, Parallels reports the device is in use by a process on the OS X side of the machine. Don't know why, because I'm not using either of these devices via an appliction on the OS X side. Does anyone know of a terminal command or system file edit that can be made so that Parallels quits "thinking" the device is captured by OS X?

I've clicked on the USB icon below the Parallels virtual machine window and tried to "select" the device that I want to use, but the selection doesn't "stick".

The idea is to collect and isolate USB issues under this particular build, not to bash the Parallels team for not having a perfect product at this stage of beta testing.

2. pderby

pderby Member

I tried the following technique posted by Jerry over in the "phones under parallels" thread:

- open your startup drive window. Go to System/Library/Extensions/
    - in there, find the file named IOUSBFamily.kext
    - right click on that file and choose 'Copy', then right click on the Desktop and click 'Paste'
    This just makes a backup incase something goes wrong.
    - now back to System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext
    - this is not really a file, but a folder with contents. Just right click (or control click) on this file, and choose 'Show package contents'
    - now another window will open with a folder named 'Contents' in it.
    - navigate to Contents/Plugins/
    - inside that folder are the files that you should take out.
    - Move any file with USBCDC in the filename out onto the desktop (I had 8 of them)
    - and that's all. Now just restart, and launch Parallels and enjoy no more 'wait 5-10sec'!

And still got the "wait 5-10 seconds" message from Parallels when the SkyScout was plugged into the USB port. So what worked for the USB Phones didn't work for the SkyScout.

3. pderby

pderby Member

Parallels version 3094 recognizes the Celestron Skyscout, but the USB connection doesn't work. When the Skyscout is plugged into the USB port the first time, a driver request is made, which I installed from the Celestron CD. On subsequent connects, the USB "chimes" happen and the Skyscout software under Windows says the Skyscout is connected, but the Celestron Skyscout software on Windows can't retrieve the version number of the Skyscout and the Skyscout "hangs". The only way to free up the Skyscout is to pull the battery in the unit.