Put an end to those pesky Mac Pro KPs in 1884 !!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ccat, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ccat

ccat Bit poster

First my config. Mac Pro 3 GHz, 5 GB memory, 2 x 500 GB HDD. (No airport at this time -- I'm wired.)

Installed Parallels for Mac RC (1884) upon emailed release announcement from the Parallels Team (Saturday). Had "millions" of KPs (or whatever) until I did the following.

- Uninstalled Parallels and manually deleted previously installed VMs frome home/library/parallels.

- Set memory to 2 GB. (sudo nvram boot-args="maxmem=2000")

- Rebooted Mac Pro

- Installed Parallels 1884

No problems this time! Parallels works great -- I can browse the internet to my heart's content and even print to a network printer. I'm using bridged networking with static IP's on my MP and in Windows. XP gateway set to IP address of Mac, DNS to "real" LAN gateway IP.

It's like magic and I'm so happy now. :) Oh yeah, there is one problem that I'm still trying to resolve. I can ping other hosts on my LAN but can't browse to them. Maybe some type of IE security thing? Your feedback appreciated and/or will update upon resolution.

ccat

2. stormj

stormj Member

Well, I went as low as 3G, but I wasn't willing to put $600 of RAM on the sideline for this, since I'm sure it will be fixed in the near future. I never tried 2000--only 2048, and I saw no difference.

I get 50% KP and that's having tried a fresh install, an upgrade install, and all sorts of permutations.

Glad yours is working though!

3. ccat

ccat Bit poster

Update: Put an end to those pesky Mac Pro KPs in 1884 !!

Thanks StormJ and I definitely know what you mean about sidelining expensive RAM. Clearly this is not a long-term solution -- I hope the development team will be able to resolve the PAE issue well before the end of the year. OTOH this is far better than dual-booting or using two machines!

Also I resolved my inability to browse to local hosts... First I noticed that I couldn't browse to all internet sites (despite what I posted earlier) and decided to give the jumbo/standard MTU size "hack" a try. Qu'elle surprise! So far so good on previously inaccessible internet sites plus I can also browse to local hosts.

ccat

4. andrewm

andrewm Bit poster

Reducing RAM to 2000 works

I had a Mac Pro 2x 2.66ghz with 1G RAM this past weekend. I installed Build 1884. It seemed to work, though I could not install Windows XP because I had stupidly purchased an upgrade version (no refunds). Today, I installed 2GB more of RAM and purchased a full version of XP.

Parallels stopped working-"could not communicate with hypervisor." I followed StormJ's advice on using the terminal command to set maxmem to 2000. Everything seems to work-I am in the midst of installing XP as I write this.

I do have one question-when I started up the VM, I received a message stating that something was locked by firmware and that I was going to start up "without VT-X support."

I am a neophyte. Can someone please tell me what this means? Should I be worried?

Also, is there an easy way to reset my memory so that I can use all available memory when I am not using Parallels?

Thanks very much. This product would not work without this forum. The MacStore guys were clueless when they sold me the Mac Pro plus Parallels, which they assured me would work like a charm.

5. STim

STim Bit poster

Hey guys,

Please read this thread.

Best regards,
    Tim

6. giobbi

giobbi Bit poster

Hi.

Im having trouble uninstalling PD completeley. Tried the uninstaller but it seems to miss some files. After i have uninstalled PD, installed a fresh new one, started it up it still shows my old VMs. Did a search on parallels and deleted all files and folder but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

thx