Updated to 1884, osx partition not readable anymore

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by purpanther, Sep 11, 2006.

1. purpanther

purpanther Bit poster

I am using a MacBook Pro 2.16, 1gb ram, 100gig hd. I have been using parallels for a week now with Win XP and Ubuntu.I upgraded to 1884 today and rebooted. I was greeted with a lovely grey screen. I have been able to boot the installation disk and the mac partition shows as disk0s2 with no name. I use First Aid to verify / repair the disk and it says "task cannot be completed due to an underlying error." I could not boot to target mode by holding T or reset pram or go to single user mode (command+s).

Wierd. I used `diskutil mount disk0s2` to no avail. I was able to boot to my windows partition (boot camp 1.1) but couldn't see the osx drive. I was able to set Target mode under control panel/startup disk.

I hooked this up to my lab G5 and ran Tech Tool Deluxe (3.1.1) - it crashed. Then I ran Disk Warrior (3.0.3) it did not see the MBP disk.

Apple care says "repartition the drive and reinstall." Great. My last backup is two weeks ago. I'll have to reinstall Parallels, XP, Ubuntu .. not too mention the last two weeks of data. blah blah blah.

So my question is: can the hypervisor have had something to do with this? The perturbing piece of this puzzle is that the preboot key combo's don't work. Is this just the OS taking a big crap?

Apple Hardware test reports no errors on the short test.

Ideas?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

The hypervisor certainly isn't going to have any effect in target disk mode, so if another machine won't let you at least backup your files, you have a corrupt or damaged disk. It sort of feels like a hardware problem. My intuition is probably better than random, but it could turn out to be a software glitch. Anyway, if you can't read it in TD mode, repartition and reinstall would seem your only choice unless you want to pull the disk and pay some forensic shop to recover whatever bits they can.

3. purpanther

purpanther Bit poster

I worked on this for a couple more hours after the post and I'm fairly confident that this is a disk going/gone bad. I can no longer boot with the install disk or to windows. I did manage to boot to Target Disk (somehow) and hook it up to an intel mac mini which reads the disk but not the mac partition.

Joem, it feels like a hardware problem to me too but I just can't isolate it. I don't intend to bring full MBP troubleshooting to this forum just the parallels questions.

Thanks!