When will the newer build be out?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by SiskoKid, Sep 12, 2006.

1. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

This 1884 build is the devil incarnate, and I'm somewhat disappointed that it was even released at all (even as a beta). You guys really should've waited. I think you've frustrated more than helped.

Anyway, how's the newer build coming? Are we expecting that any time soon? Just want a realistic window so everyone knows when they can breathe a sigh of relief :D

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

If the previous build seems better, then keep using it in your production environment, and leave build 1884 in the test environment.

3. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

I'm also waiting for a newer release of the 2.2 beta because the current one KILLS d-bus on my laptop... no more gnome-power-manager, shutdown or usbkey automounting :(

4. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

I have a Mac Pro, so I can't do that. Otherwise, many of us wouldn't need this beta and deal with the headache.

Anyone know how much longer 'til we can expect the next update?

5. constant

constant Forum Maven

You need to have another Mac Pro that you use for testing. If you don't / can't have another, then it would be most wise for you to only install released versions.

The only alternative is to aknowledge the risk, and be prepared for disapointing results.

6. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

Well if the other build did not work on his Mac pro and this one does not work on his Mac Pro then what do you suggest he use?

None of the current builds really support the Mac Pro even though they should have been able to.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Patience.

8. FikseGTS

FikseGTS Junior Member

I have two Mac Pro's, the latest RC causes constant kernel panics on both...

9. JonC

JonC Bit poster

I have a base Mac Pro.. The version that I purchased did not work at all..

2.66 ghz
    1 gig of ram
    1 x 250 gig drive
    1 x 500 gig drive
    7300 gt vid
    running windows xp pro ( on virtual drive )

However..

The latest beta version works fine.. ( except for gaming ) .. I have had no troubles at all...

The only issues that I do have.. is the network issue. but I do the "work around " that was posted.. and everything is fine..

I would like to know if there is any tricks to get lower end 3d games to work within Parallels..?

10. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Working PERFECT for me: MBP 2gb, 120 HD. 10.4.7

M

11. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

Please don't lecture me on how to use beta software. And, also, nothing bad happened to my computer. The only thing not working is Parallels and, judging by these forums and the Apple forums, most everyone else's Parallels beta is also not working. Frankly, the developers gave into pressure to quickly release something that "works" on a Mac Pro and this is what happens. Haste makes waste as they say.

It was just a garbage release. They should've just waited another week or so and released something a little more sturdy. I know what beta software is, and this is just a crappy beta release. The whole point of a beta release IS to catch bugs after all, but you gotta release something that'll contain its basic functions otherwise that's what internal testing is for.

Anyway, my question still stands, when can we expect an actual beta release (that works) from Parallels?

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

Not at this stage. There is no 3d support.

It's fine for you to ask that question, as it's fine for anyone to ask that question. However, the more people who ask that question, the more pressure they feel to release earlier.

13. joem

joem Forum Maven

This thread is a major waste of electrons. The next release will be here when it gets here, and they aren't going to tell us anything until it's ready. You all can bitch all you want, and ask all you want, but waiting until there is an announcement will be equally if not more effective.

If you all just want to bitch, yell at your kids -- at least the rest of us don't have to listen, and the kids can't do anything about it. (That's a joke in case anyone didn't get it).

14. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

I originally just asked for a realistic window of time, I never asked for a specific date nor did I say to rush it. On the contrary, I am criticizing their rushing of the first one, so I want them to take their time.

Beyond that, let me ask one more time to people who actually work here instead of random posters who seem to have some sort of problem with me criticizing a fault and asking a valid question. Is there a window of time you guys are shooting for to release a newer version? I can understand if you don't, just wanting an update.

And, by all means, take your time. I don't think any of us want to install Parallels again and find random fix it solutions for it to run for 5 minutes before it just self destructs.

Good luck!

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

We are working on Mac Pro issue very hard - the update will be ready soon. We apologize for inconvinience.

16. stormj

stormj Member

Those are the words of someone who is used to settling for less. For those of us who spend our money on any product, we just want it to work, and we'd like more information on that. Telling us to shut up and like it, well, just isn't acceptable.

Even the company isn't taking your position. They are politely telling us they are working hard on the product. They have provided us with this forum so that the user community can help itself and provide feedback. They are under no obligation to provide this forum, but they do. And they have listened to our feedback in the past, and, as any company in a market economy should, they respond to it.

As for this whole behavior that you see rampant on internet bulletin boards where posters are criticized for "wasting electrons," I say that these forums are not places for people to show off who is more "in" or who knows more and to put down people who know less--it's for users to support each other.

17. joem

joem Forum Maven

Actually, on the contrary, those are the words of someone who trusts the developers to act like adults and do their job without being hounded. I usually get what I want, eventually, and I'm practical about getting it. Constant complaining *is* a waste.

Nothing in that paragraph is inconsistant with my position.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with anything I said.

This forum is both for users to support each other (have a look at my many posts on other threads explaining over and over how to make things work) and to communicate with the developers about practical issues with the software. Ranting isn't helpful and is a waste IMNSHO.

Find a post where I put someone down. You can easily find a few where I've attacked an idea or a behavior, but NEVER a person. It's just not my style, and if anyone reads a personal attack intent into anything I write, it's a misinterpretation of my intent.

Back to useful work...

18. constant

constant Forum Maven

joem is a good bloke who has provided lots and lots of free help to others.