Citrix and parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by andrewm, Sep 11, 2006.

1. andrewm

andrewm Bit poster

Has anyone had any success in running Citrix over parallels? I can successfully connect to my VPN using IE 6.0.29 in XP SP2 running on my Mac Pro. I can launch Citrix. However, whenever I try to start an application by clicking on its icon (ie- Excel, Outlook), I get a "file download" dialog box. It's as if the Citrix web interface doesn't realize I'm starting an application. Instead, it asks me if I want to download "launch.ica", which I think is the file name for the icon image itself.

The very first time I tried ot launch an app, this did not happen. Instead, Citrix tried to load Outlook, then gave me a red "error" message. Since that first launch, I've had nothing but "file download." I think this might be something simple like internet security sessions or even a mouse button setting.

Thanks very much,
    Andrew

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Reinstall your Citrix client. It sounds like the registry mappings for the .ica file has been lost.

3. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

There is a Mac OS X native Citrix client. Part of the point of Citrix is that you don't have to use Windows to access applications running on a Windows machine. Try using the native client and see if it behaves correctly.

4. andrewm

andrewm Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that our Citrix server is behind a firewall that requires me to go connect via a checkpoint SSL VPN. That does not seem to work at all on the Mac, though they claim to have a Mac version in the works. Our system administrator won't put the Citrix server outside the firewall, so for now I'm stuck accessing via Windows.

5. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Try Run instead of download

I have used Citrix with Windows running in parallels as well as the native Mac version. The mac version does not really work that well. My Windows version works (sort of).

When the dialog box prompts you to save the launch.ica file, choose run instead...see what happens. That has worked for me on the Mac version.

My problem is that when running on a Win XP guest OS in parallels, I lose the network connection in Citrix after about 10 minutes of use...

Any ideas?

6. Robster

Robster Hunter

Personaly I have very succesfully used Citrix on Parallels both at work adn from home via VPN with no problems whatsoever.

Running on a MacBook Pro and XP SP2

Robin