Help Help Help, its not working!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ian4, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

Help Help Help, Parallels isnt working!

:mad: Ive just had a new imac and followed the instructions to install parallels, i save all the info that it is asking me to and then it wants me in the instructions to "choose DEFALTS CD/DVD-ROM" from the "DEVICE" menu. That option is not available to me.

Im not given that option and when i perss power on the slowly screen grays out working from top to bottom and then freezes and askes me to reboot.

Can anyone please help me with this, ive been trying all day to make it work. Ill keep checking my system tonight.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  2. kgregc

kgregc Member

Have you edited the VM window to show the CD/DVD setup? The Edit button is at the bottom of the VM setup window. Also, is your Network Adaptor set to Bridged? I found that works on my iMac.

I have a new 2.0Gb Core 2 Duo, 1Gb RAM, 17" iMac and Parallels 1884 works very well for me.

(I'm using it right now to post this.)

3. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

ive followed the instrustions and set all the relevant settings, ive set the dvd/cd rom to enabled and connect at start up. My network is set to bridged Ethernet?

where am i going wrong?

4. kgregc

kgregc Member

Here's my main VM page... does you look like this?

[​IMG]

5. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

No it didnt, i changed it and it froze again.

However in resourses mine it shows floppy. Other than that it was the same after i changed it, its driving me crazy!

Your buttons are at the top and mine are on the side, yours says winxp-parallels and mine says winxp.5-parralels

your hard disk says 20000 and mine says 8000

your network adapter says bridged ethernet; en0: Ethernet adapter mine says bridged ethernet; default adapter

yours says usb controller auto on and mine says off

6. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

ive just tried changing all those settings to yours and ive just had to restart my mac again, its doing my head in!

i really appreciate your help though

if you can shed any more light on it that would be great!

7. kgregc

kgregc Member

"However in resourses mine it shows floppy." Change this to the same as mine...

"Your buttons are at the top and mine are on the side, yours says winxp-parallels and mine says winxp.5-parralels". I wouldn't worry about the buttons position, might just be a view setting. Yours says winxp.5 because it's the 5th one you've made. I have .2 and .3 ones too,,,,not a problem.

"your hard disk says 20000 and mine says 8000" I just increased the size to 20G from 8. 8 is fine for you now, not a problem.

"your network adapter says bridged ethernet; en0: Ethernet adapter mine says bridged ethernet; default adapter" Since my VM is working, try my settings of "en0" and let's try it.

"yours says usb controller auto on and mine says off" Change it to "ON".

Make these changes and let's see where you are at.

EDIT: looks like we posted together... Can you explain in more detail what is happening when you turn on the VM after changing to my settings?

8. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

when i turn the power on the screen freezes and i get a slow grayed out band that starts at the top of the screen and slowly works all the way down to the bottom of the screen. then i get a black box saying that i need to reboot the mac the about 5 different languages. when i reboot it the mac then says that it shut down unexpectingly and do i want to send a report.

any ideas?

9. kgregc

kgregc Member

Exactly what I got when I was using Parallels 1848....and a couple times after I updated to version 1884. OK, lets go to the other pages/settings and see where we are. I'm going to move to my G5 tower to post on the forum, and put the iMac just on Parallels... (easier to use Safari to post pics). Give me a minute or two.

10. kgregc

kgregc Member

What about these settings,

[​IMG]

11. kgregc

kgregc Member

Another configuration setting window?

What does yours look like?

[​IMG]

What is your Booking Sequence..mine is CD/Hard Drive/Floppy

12. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

tried it twice and the same thing happens, i wonder, what your settings are within configuration editor.

i just dont know what else to do!

13. kgregc

kgregc Member

Have you changed the setting to those in the pics I posted? What other settings are you wondering about..I'll post those too.

14. kgregc

kgregc Member

Here are most settings in the Config Editor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check these settings, and let me know what yous are...and I suggest you change them to mine.

15. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

my vm machine name is microsoft windows xp and i dont have a screen for cache policy. it loos like everything else could be the same.

what else do you have in hard disk 1 advanced

cd/dvd rom how does that look?

network adapter how do both tabs look there?

what about all 3 tabs in options?

sorry about this, ill try and sort it out in the morning and probably all day tomorrow. if you have any ideas that would be great.

thanks for all your help!!!!

16. Ian4

Ian4 Junior Member

the other question that i have for you, is how do i take a snapshot of my screen the way you do as i could then show you how mine looks?

17. kgregc

kgregc Member

I think there is a sequence with Shift, the key with the 4 small loops (it's name escapes me now) and the "3" key will print the screen.. I use a program called SnapZPro...then upoad to Photobucket and post the link.

I'll see you tomorrow, and we'll get this worked out. If mine works, so should yours...

Are you sure you are using Parallels 1884? Not having the screen cache policy and the tabs on the side are now giving me some doubts if our versions are the same.... Click on the About Parallels and double check...

18. kgregc

kgregc Member

Here are the other Config Edit screens...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Run a program called "Grab" on the Mac. It's in Applications/Utilities.

It makes .tiff files that you will want to convert to jpeg before posting (mostly because tiff files are huge).

I have maybe a dumb question though: What OS did you install in Parallels, and was it working before?

20. Nuc

Nuc Bit poster

To take a picture of a window just hold the apple key-shift-4. You will see some cross-hairs come up. Release the keys then hit the space bar and you can take a pic of an application window.

Nuc