Is this Parallels' official position????

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kgregc, Sep 15, 2006.

1. kgregc

kgregc Member

This was posted this morning... If this is the "Official" position of Parallels, why isn't it a sticky, in bold with some further details?

I am running a Core 2 Duo iMac and RC1884 works fine....

Attached Files:

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Actually build 1884 is work fine on Mac Pro and iMac Core 2 Duo with 2G RAM and less. If more memory installed - there are number of issues. Our developers working hard 24 hours a day to fix these issues.

3. kgregc

kgregc Member

Andrew...thanks for the clarification, but there was nothing said in your original post about the memory...so it was confusing.

RC1884 works fine for me on my 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1Gb RAM iMac....would you recommend staying with it, or using 1892? Are there any "Fixes" in 1892 for the iMac... Are there any pluses to using 1892? Any negatives for the iMac?

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  4. Andrew @ Parallels

1892 is much better. There are following essintial things were fixed there:

* Networking Mac Pro problem
    * Some Shared Folders issues
    * Can't connect to hypervisor problem

You can also try our latest internal build - 1896.2 (http://download.parallels.com/RC/Parallels-Desktop-1896.2-Mac.dmg). There are some more fixes there.

5. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Build 1896.2 works beautifully for me, at least so far.

Mac Pro 2.66, 3 GB RAM

6. dnanian

dnanian Member

Actually, Andrew, I tried quite hard to use Parallels with 2GB RAM, but it does not work "fine"... I get the same exceptions in heavy memory usage scenarios with 2GB as I do with 3.

7. kgregc

kgregc Member

Andrew,

The download at the link you provided says 1848... not 1896.2! Can you clarify this?

Thanks.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

dnanian,

Could you try 1896.2 please with your test case?

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Try to download again please - it was mistake in URL and you were redirected to standard download page. Now I corrected this link in previous message.

10. kgregc

kgregc Member

Thanks, Andrew. I'm downloading it now and will let you know how it works with my iMac.

11. kgregc

kgregc Member

Andrew,

I tried to download 1892.6 using the "Update" function under the Help menu in Parallels, but it said my installed version, 1884, is the most current version. There is no option to download 1892.6 from that menu.

Is there another way to automatically upgrade to 1892.6 from 1884 without having to recreate everything..especially having to re-load XP and update it...major job with my old CD version (Pre-SP2 version).

Thanks.

12. controller

controller Member

I tried the latest internal test build mentioned here. I have 4GB of RAM. I didn't do the MaxMem just to see what would happen.

Well, it launched the XP VM, but after the "welcome" screen instead of a Kernel Panic, I just have a spinning beach ball of death. (It is still going in the background as I type this.)

Progress, I guess.

I have a 2.66 MP with 4GB and a Radeon X1900.

13. BlueSkyISdotCOM

BlueSkyISdotCOM Member

Same here, same config.

14. poolvibe

poolvibe Bit poster

Could not connect to hypervisor but at least it didnt give me a grey curtain of death

15. jakeller

jakeller Bit poster

Same problem here. XP boots but as soon as it plays that welcome sound, I get the beachball. This is on a Mac Pro with 3GB and the 7300GT card.

Jeff

16. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

That is in internal build. It wont show up in the update menu.

You'll have to install it manually.

As an aside, this is the normal and expected function. I would be very surprised if beta software releases show up in update menus. The software update function is normally used to push out critical fixes, and stuff that they know works. (i.e. usully only release updates)

When you re-intstall Parallels it does not distroy and virtual machines. Just make sure to uninstall Parallels Tools from the VM before the update, and re-install them afterwords.

It is the same idea as uninstalling MS Word does not delete all your documents. That would be preposterous. Think of a VM as a huge MS Word doc.

17. khaosx

khaosx Bit poster

On a Mac Pro, 4GB RAM, x1900XT:

First time I tried to crank up the VM, I got the message about VT problem, requesting that I sleep the Mac. I forgot to shut down the VM, and it gave me the beachball of death while trying to type in my password on the welcome screen.

After a reboot, I slept the Mac, started Parallels, fired up the VM, and it worked flawlessly. Looks liek you're getting closer...

18. DaveB

DaveB Member

Andrew-
    Had many of the same listed problems with Shared Folders as mentioned in this and other threads. Was using Build 1884. Downloaded 1896.2. Removed Tools prior to installing. Shut down, installed 1896.2 and reinstalled Tools. Have been testing connection to Mac Harddrive using Finder and Microsoft Excel. Previously (Build 1884) would make the connection to whatever sub-directory (folder), but invariably would "lose" the connection almost immediately. With 1896.2, seems to be corrected. Just went back to VM, tried Finder and Excel again. All worked flawlessly. I too believe you are on the right track. Good work!

Dave B.

19. kgregc

kgregc Member

used_user-name... thanks, good information. I was able to upgrade and all is well, but your tips are usefull.