Mac OS X Support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by marek, Apr 4, 2006.

1. marek

marek Bit poster

News has it you guys are planning a Mac OS X support. Let's see it. I guarantee you our company will buy a bunch of licenses the very first day.

Mark

2. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

If you guys can beat VMware and Microsoft to market with this you would have my business in a heartbeat.

I tried out the demo on a windows box today and it's really nice.

Virtualization on OS X (Intel) would make my life as a Macintosh using Windows Administrator much easier.

3. Neuron

Neuron Member

I strongly agree. I'm extremely excited about the news that sites are reporting about an announcement this week. Don't keep us waiting!

4. reggie

reggie Bit poster

From one Admin to another, I agree 100%. I'm planning on getting a MacBook Pro in the coming weeks and a Mac version of Parallels' software would allow me to dump my old Dell laptop altogether (which I really only use for VMWare).

Regg'

5. purplepixy

purplepixy Bit poster

OS X Virtualization Still Needed!

With the announcement and release of Apple's Boot Camp, the market for virtualization software for OS X may have shrunk. <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14292>:

As a Mac user who occasionally needs to run Windows, however, I hope that emulation alternatives to booting in Windows will also appear. Especially as Boot Camp only appears to work with Windows XP, software that allows that and earlier versions of Windows to run alongside OS X is more tempting. If your software can run Windows faster than VirtualPC, then you should still have a market for the product. Some people will want OS X AND Windows, not OS X OR Windows,

6. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

Boot Camp is pretty sweet...

I installed XP on my iMac after work tonight... Once it was installed I realized I just devoted 20Gb of hard disk space to something I would never use... OS X does everything I need but there are times that I need to walk a user through a task or test out some software and I am not going to reboot to do it.

You (Parallels) still have my money if you provide a virtualization solution!!!

7. STim

STim Bit poster

8. Jisi

Jisi Member

Now, does this version use Vanderpool on the iMac or not? IIRC I read that the iMAc CPU is theoretically VT capable, but that this feature isn't enabled by Apple. Care to enlighten me? :)

9. Nadine McSim

Nadine McSim Junior Member

Parallels Workstation 2.1 for Mac OS X offers full support for Intel VT-x (Vanderpool) technology. From our expirience Intel VT-x is enabled by Apple on iMac and MacBook Pro and disabled for some reasons on Mac Mini. So Parallels Workstation is running in Intel VT-x mode on iMac and MacBook Pro and in software virtualization mode on Mac Mini.

10. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

I can't wait to get home from work and try this out... If it works well on my iMac I will be buying a MacBook Pro tomorrow afternoon.

11. xnor

xnor Bit poster

VT-x disabled on all Mac Minis?

Is VT-x disabled for all Mac Minis or just for the Core Duo Mac Mini?

As far as I see it, VT-x is generally disabled on Core Solo, but enabled (by default) on Core Duo (yet it may be disabled by the assembler, in this case Apple).

12. xnor

xnor Bit poster