no boot device

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by max_y, Sep 16, 2006.

1. max_y

max_y Member

no boot device (how many others like me?)

add another to this problem...have tried all the suggested solutions...boot to image file, renamed "xpsp2.iso" , changed boot order to all 3 options, change ide number, enabled and disabled acceleration, device stats is enabled and connected

yes i have a bootable cd, tried it on a pc and it works

running macbook pro 10.4.7 latest firmware, tried parallels 1848 and the update 1884

i'm this close to just loading boot camp.

any last suggestions?

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  2. kgregc

kgregc Member

Download the latest 1892.6...

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to create new typical XP configuration and attach your ISO image to it. More likely you something broke in your current configuration.

4. max_y

max_y Member

ANDREW, i tried this with the current version...i'll try when i find the new version

GREG or ANDREW...where can i find this download? i just download what seemed to be the latest from parallels but is not the version you mention. this is link i downloaded from http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/update/

5. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

6. bob.petersen

bob.petersen Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried installing XP in Boot Camp and had the same problem, so i don't think that is the answer.

7. max_y

max_y Member

just loaded the newest version 1892...created a new VM...and still get the no boot device message...tried both CD image and real CD.

Just curious, seems like a lot of people are in this same camp? please reply if you are so that folks at parallels can determine how widespread this issue is or not.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  8. max_y

max_y Member

boot device problems..reply here

if youre having problems...

9. Alting

Alting Bit poster

Same here, boot device problem on MacBookPro

10. Alting

Alting Bit poster

What does this mean, attach your ISO image to it? Where does the typical WindowsXP configuration take place?

11. kenduit

kenduit Member

SAME HERE Get message ( unable to creat "CD_Image.dmg" Input/output error) Blue bar about half way through creat process .Then Quits & message pops up.
    Ken

12. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Same problem here... Got reply e-mail from the support team giving me the exact same steps as the book - which do not work.

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

manbandit,

1. Could you please post here Parallels screenshot when it shows no boot device message?
    2. Could you post here Parallels screenshot just before you pressed Start button?

14. kenduit

kenduit Member

New to macs. How do you do screen shots? Thanks ken

15. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

Screenshots

Andrew,

As requested, here are the screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Kevin

16. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Do you have another VM running at the time you are trying to setup, because that one will grab the CD and hang on for dear life ;-0 So just disconnect it from first Guest or shut down first guest.

17. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

way 1. CMD-Shift-4, highlight the image then use CMD-4 to retrieve the image
    way 2. find Grab-It in your applications/utilities

18. madbandit

madbandit Junior Member

No, I don't have another VM running. I realize profiles were different, but that was because the screenshots were grabbed at different times, and we were trying to display the default settings.

Nothing has worked though, default setitngs, changed settings, image of the CD, etc etc etc.

19. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I noticed in one you had like a gig of memory setup. Ive seen posts from andrew where this is to much, try like 512meg

20. magrite

magrite Junior Member

same problem: no boot disc

I'm having the same problem. Also tried everything on the post. I'm equally pc/mac; but have been primarily mac for a year. I'm wondering if it is something with the "default cd" -- I can't see a "real" cd in the device menu. Once I did get to it, switched to connect in the pull-down menu at the top of the page. It did not appear in the config menu on the desktop.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006