Solaris install on iMac 20" - graphics/mouse conf

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by only1geordie, Apr 13, 2006.

1. only1geordie

only1geordie Bit poster

Hi,
    I've installed Solaris 10. When booting the Login screen appears fine, but the mouse does not work. Does any one know how to correct this.

Also does anyone know what the correct graphics settings should be : card/monitor and resolution....I tried many combinitions but none work.

2. brettw

brettw Member

From user KMD in an earlier post he's kindly provided what worked for him - see http://qube3.mcnmc.com/xorg/xorg.conf .

Could you please post the media/version you installed from ? e.g Solaris CD 03/05 etc etc - I and others are having problems with some versions. I could only install from CD 03/05. U1 DVD .iso is reported to work also.

Did you manage did get the network running ?

thanks

3. rpjenner

rpjenner Bit poster

I'm running Beta3 of the Parallels Software. I've installed Solaris 10 01/06 and got the graphics / keyboard and mouse working. You can see a screenshot at http://www.flickr.com/photos/62281904@N00/

I used the following commands :

/usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig
    and then the following entries (the --> denotes my comments - don't type these :)
    [ENTER]
    5 --> PS/2 Mouse
    Y --> emulate 3 button mouse
    [ENTER] --> default for /dev/kdmouse
    7 --> Generic 104-Key PC
    87 --> UK Keyboard
    [ENTER] --> for keyboard variant
    n --> additional XKB options
    [ENTER]
    6 --> Non-interlaced SVGA 1024x768
    2 --> 50-90 vertical sync rate
    apple20 --> identifier for your monitor
    y --> yes, you would like to look at the card database
    0 --> Generic Vesa compatible option
    [ENTER] --> to continue
    5 --> 4096K of memory
    ati1600 --> identifier for you graphics card
    4 --> the modes are ok
    4 --> 16 bits
    then say Y to write to /etc/X11.conf

Then you should only have to logout and login again for the new settings to take effect (although with all the experimentation I've done, I may have had to reboot).

I tried various combinations, I don't think I got 24 bit colour to work and I haven't tried higher resolutions as yes, but this works for me.

I also haven't got networking working ! It plumbs in the ni0 interface but doesn't get the ip address from my dhcp server (Belkin wireless router).

I also had problems with some Solaris Express builds which wouldn't install (but I had the same issues on my Toshiba laptop as well - problem is documented at :
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=31
    the message is titled "X.cpio.bz2 : Odd Problem with various versions"

It took about 40 minutes to install from the ISO image stored on the disk (I didn't use a physical DVD image).

I going to try to create a flash archive from a later Solaris Express build and see if that works as I want to experiment with ZFS and also get Linux containers running under Brandz.

Hope this helps

Richard

4. brettw

brettw Member

Thanks Richard!

Excellent post and info - and great news to hear someone else has a real OS running. I too want to try ZFS and BrandZ but I think I'll do that on a V210 so I can roll into production should I get something useful laid out. At work I'll be doing a Sol 8 > Sol 10 migration for my entire platform so I need to get up to speed on dtrace hence the idea to run on a Mac Book.

I also tried several iterations of booting on the Mac Book with the Boot Camp firmware upgrade btw - no joy on either. I think someone will eventually get it done though so I'll just wait.

Net - since its plumbed maybe snoop it and see if it sees anything ? If you have another box on the net can you snoop it and see the VM's mac searching for the DHCP server ? Or perhaps give it a manual address.

The U1 load from dvd .iso seems to be rolling along well so I should keep my eye on the road here soon. Hope you'll post more on your experiences - I really wish though they'd have a dedicated forum for guest OS so more collaboration could take place.

--brett

5. rpjenner

rpjenner Bit poster

Glad it was useful.

Actually networking is now working !
    Using snoop, DHCP didn't seem to be doing anything, so I manually gave it an address and that works. I can ping the router and other machines on my LAN, I can't see anything on the internet as yet, I'll have to work out whether it's a DNS error or something else.

I'm trying a liveupgrade from Sol10 01/06 to Nevada Build 36 at the moment, to see if I can get around my ISO image problem.

If you keep looking at opensolaris.org, there seems to be some progress at getting it installed using bootcamp, so I suspect it's only a matter of time.

But using parallels is really neat for trying things out...

6. brettw

brettw Member

the network is the computer harhar.... good to hear that.

right now mine is still chugging on the French localizations for Java - I think I need some rolaids....

I really want to boot native on this machine so I hope someone at opensolaris is scratching their heads over it!!

7. brettw

brettw Member

Unusual but it seems to have brought up dtlogin on like a 1600+ screen - now without panning on the mac book and without scrollbars on the VM I can't get down to the click box to get a command line login .... so on to x config I guess ...

8. rpjenner

rpjenner Bit poster

Well, liveupgrade worked a charm, I'm now running Nevada build 36, with all the ZFS goodness !
    Must admit I'm a bit confused, the ISO on the disk wouldn't work properly using standard Solaris install, but using Liveupgrade it was fine....

If you're curious, I formatted my disk as follows :

Partition 0 : 8GB (This was the original Solaris 10 01/06
    Partition 3 : 8GB (For the new environment)
    Partition 7 : 4GB For export home.

So whilst running Solaris from partition 0, type the following :

cd /cdrom/Sol11_X86/Solaris_11/Tools/Installers
    ./liveupgrade20
    lucreate -A 'Nevada Build 36' -m /:/dev/dsk/c0d0s3:ufs -n build36
    luupgrade -u -n build36 -s /cdrom/Sol11_X86
    luactivate -s build36

where:
    /cdrom0/Sol11_X86 is the location of your ISO image
    build36 is the name of your alternate boot environment

and Liveupgrade does the rest, even editing your GRUB menu for you. It took about 2 hours to do the upgrade but I could still use the system whilst it did it's work.

Now going forward I can install future releases either by overwriting slice 0 or slice 3 - depending on which version I think is more stable !

After the Easter break, I'll get the BrandZ aware ISO image and have linux containers, running under Solaris on Mac OSX !

I'll copy this post to the opensolaris forum as well.

Richard

9. brettw

brettw Member

Richard,

After the Easter break you may not have to worry about running Parallels ... your earlier predictions about *soon* were right on target ....

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=7793&tstart=0

Whoa this is awesome news!!