Working Vista RC1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by UKP, Sep 15, 2006.

1. UKP

UKP Member

2. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Works Fine

The installation went fine. Parallels Tools installed smooth. Network: OK. Custom screen resolution: Ok. Shared Folders: None. Sound: Ok. Mouse sync: Not quite perfect.

So far very good.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  3. detayls

detayls Junior Member

Yes, same here. Vista RC1 installed without a hitch. Parallels Tools too.

Too slow to do anything meaningful with though... :cool:

4. kgregc

kgregc Member

I just ordered the Vista RC DVD... When you say slow, is that compared to XP? Or compared to running on a stand alone PC?

5. mkummer

mkummer Member

Thank you for the link! I had one kernel panic after installing this RC2 build but afterwards all run smoothly. Network runs here to. Sound is stuttering in videos and I did not see the mouse drivers of Parallels working, i.e. I could not move to the mac desktop. Anyway, VISTA can be run. First impression: no standing ovations - optical improved XP...

6. cybermice

cybermice Junior Member

I'm in the process of installing Vista RC1 into Parallels pre-RC2 build 1896.2 (thanks for the link), but I had to create a new HD.

I get the following error when trying to install onto a Windows XP Pro sp2 system (OS type set to Vista in Parallels):

You must make the following changes before installing Windows:

This computer is not compliant with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard. Windows must be installed onto a computer that supports ACPI. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update or install Windows on a ACPI-compliant computer.

7. wirespy

wirespy Bit poster

I installed Vista RC1 successfully and upon the first reboot after installing the Parallel tools, Vista BSOD'd with USB hardware issue. I disabled USB and it boots fine now, tools installed and everything works except I notice it keeps my MACBOOK CPU high and the fan rev's vary fast for the duration the Vista VM is running....

Almost there...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  8. mkummer

mkummer Member

What I dont understand: I cant get the Parallel Tools loading except of Network, Clipboard and Time Sync. No Video driver or mouse. Any help or idea???

And ... no graphic effects at all. The system says STANDARD VGA

9. Jan Wittrodt

Jan Wittrodt Member

Well, it's not as fast as XP indeed, though it's not to slow to do anything meaningful. I fact I find it quite usefull. Booting (hit the play button till desktop appears) takes about 62 seconds. Menu's open with a little delay but nothing really terrible for testing purposes.

Firefox is as fast as being used inside XP. Same stands for OpenOffice. Can't get Norton to run due to compatibility reason with vista, besides. No Virus Protection. Well wouldn't matter anyway.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  10. detayls

detayls Junior Member

The combination of Vista RC 1 and Parallels running at single CPU speeds with a generic VGA driver is not very fast compared with a modern dual CPU machine running a decent graphics card natively.

What I am saying is that Vista needs more CPU and Graphics capability to show at its best. This is not a slap at Parallels. It is just that Vista is going to disappoint.

11. jeffmc

jeffmc Junior Member

The parallels tools install those. However for video, mouse you need to manually go into Vista's device manager, and update driver, poiting to the mount parallels tools ISA for the driver INF's. I did that and now I have mouse sync, parallel graphics, etc

12. schmidp

schmidp Member

vista rc1 uses 100% cpu time on my mbp, other than that it seems to work ok

13. takmad

takmad Bit poster

Vista running...or should I say jogging

I'm up and running with the 1896.2 release and Vista RC1. Works pretty well - just minor challenges such as mouse movements. It has my iMac 1.83 Intel Core Duo working between 50-90% on both CPUs, even when I'm not doing anything. I've allocated 620Mb of RAM.

Overall, it is generally too slow to use on a regular basis, but it is nice to see Vista functioning and to check out the features. Doesn't look like it has much on Tiger - and especially compared to Leopard.

Thanks for the info above. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and others on performance improvement changes for running Vista. In the mean time, when I need XP - it runs great on Parallels. Thanks guys.

14. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

I take it since Parallels presents a generic video card to Vista that Aero is not supported even if Parallels video driver is installed?

15. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

No joy with Vista

I just tried installing RC1, build 5600. Twice during the expanding phase right near the beginning of the install, Parallels would freeze and would essentially make the rest of the Mac mostly unusable. The only way to shut down Parallels is to shut down/restart since force quit doesn't work. So I can't install Vista at all on my 3GB 2.66GHz Mac Pro.

Anyone know what might cause the spinning beachball during installation?

16. mkummer

mkummer Member

Thanks, that sounds interesting. COuld you provide me with a little more info on the install process under Vista? That would be very welcome... :)

Thanks - mk

17. mkummer

mkummer Member

Meanwhile, I installed the drivers manually, works good as described in the quoted message. Of course, all is quite slow (as it would be on a similar PC), but it works so far except sound. I am really looking forward to the Parallels version with hardware acceleration support....

18. Victor

Victor Member

Should I try the 32 or 64 bit Vista?

19. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

20. Paul Linden

Paul Linden Member

I've installed Vista for the first time. I've been a member of the Beta program since June, but never felt any overwhelming urge to install it. But after support for it was provided by Parallels, I thought I would go ahead anyway.

So, can anyone tell me what this brings me that XP doesn't (apart from forcing Parallels to 100% CPU)?

I've read all about it, how it has been rewritten from the ground up, with better security etc, but looking at as if I were an ordinary user (I'm a software engineer - Java on Linux servers), it just looks like a reskinned XP. I know we don't get the Aero effects with Parallels, but you see what an OS really provides by taking away the eye candy, and I don't see anything apart from a few extra programs like DVD maker.