Host-only Networking Mode Option Disabled

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ebayseller98, Aug 20, 2006.

1. ebayseller98

ebayseller98 Bit poster

Despite multiple attempts to reinstall and upgrade to latest versions of Parallels, my installation on my MacBook does not allow me to select Host-only mode in the networking options. As such, the only choice is Bridged. This is fine when I'm on my home network, but in hotspots or using my EVDO modem, Win XP loses internet connectivity. My sense is that Host-only mode may solve this, but since I cannot choose the option, I cannot test it out.

So just to be perfectly clear, the "Host-only Mode" radio button is greyed out and cannot be selected.

I've read many posts about various networking problems, but I have not seen anyone comment on the host-only mode being unavailable at all!

Please help! Thanks...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

I had the exact same problem, and posted about it, but nobody had any ideas. During the betas, it used to be available, but at some point disappeared when I wasn't paying attention. Then, without reinstalling, but after a reboot unrelated to anything to do with Parallels, it suddenly became available again and has worked ever since. I can't really suggest anything, as it seems to just be flaky in that respect (and a lot others).

3. ebayseller98

ebayseller98 Bit poster

Matthew,

Thanks for the reply. I've restarted Parallels a bunch of times, but to no avail. Somebody at Parallels, any thoughts?

4. amnasti1@mac.com

amnasti1@mac.com Bit poster

can't install xp

:confused:
    cd won't boot, can't find NTLDR.
    anyone have the same problem.
    installation locks up @ the F8 to agree point.

5. ebayseller98

ebayseller98 Bit poster

Still No Help or Solution, even with New Beta

To Parallels team:

I still have not heard any solution from anyone at Parallels about what might be wrong here. While I have received requests for output from various tests in Terminal, there were no subsequent suggestions about what to actually do to fix this.

I have installed the latest beta, but still no solution. Please help me figure this out!

6. HappyMacSwitch

HappyMacSwitch Junior Member

Host only

Same problem here. Can someone in Paralles figure out what happen here????????:mad:

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Have you tried to reboot Mac OS X after Parallels installation? Sometimes it is needed to up en02 which is used for host-only networking.

8. ebayseller98

ebayseller98 Bit poster

I seem to have figured out what the problem was for me, which seemed to a conflict with the Keyspan USB Server software. I've discontinued using the Keyspan product, as it was also the source of kernel panics when I updated to 10.4.8 (althogh that was fixed with the latest Keyspan beta).

Curious if others who had this same problem had a Keyspan server?