Why enforce a 15-day trial period on Beta code?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ppinter1, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ppinter1

ppinter1 Bit poster

Pardon me, but I'm getting moaning messages about the 15-day trial license expiring on Sept 22nd, yet only with the latest 1896.2 build has this Beta been barely stable enough to evaluate on my Mac Pro.

Wouldn't it make more sense to code these Betas with a hard expiry date, and leave the trials to stable, non-Beta kits?

2. UnoriginalNick

UnoriginalNick Bit poster

I think that would be nice as well. I'm just about at the end of my trial period and still no support for my Garmin USB GPS. Since parallels still hasn't even said if they're working on the issue, I have no intention of buying the software. It seems to me that they should wait for a final release before starting to charge people for a product.

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

The beta versions are available for trail just like the release versions are available for trial. But Parallels is a commercial venture that needs to generate sales to survive. I'm sure you understand now.

4. mjankor

mjankor Bit poster

That doesn't mean their idea has no merit. At the moment Parallels can hardly be considered a commercial product for users with Mac Pros. A hard coded ending date is a very good suggestion so that guinea pig users can at least try the newly released betas to see if they work.

IIRC the end date starts from the first time you install parallels and doesn't update if you update the software.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  5. constant

constant Forum Maven

You can't update, you have to reinstall. It's all designed to encourage a purchase. They are a commercial entity, they want to encourage sales. They are encouraging sales.

If they are not leading you to think that you will purchase, then they probably do not wish to do anymore for you.

6. mjankor

mjankor Bit poster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you do reinstall you still don't get a new trial period to see if the software works. If it doesn't work on a Mac Pro when first trialled then by the time an update appears there's no option to see if it works.

Why is it such a bad idea to have a longer, hardcoded time out on the betas so that while they're getting support for the new intels working people can assess whether it works for them or not.

Encouraging sales is one thing, but if the software doesn't work, or is clearly beta then there's nothing to sell.

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Plenty of people have paid. So your estimation must differ from theirs.

8. Victor

Victor Member

Yes lots have paid, and got a bit miffed the software didnt work as advertised. I downloaded the trial software and inteand to purchase, when it fully works correctly (i.e. as advertised without tricks and is no longer a beta). Hoever, my test key expired. I couldnt evaluate an updated beta. My only option was to re-register using another e-mail address to get another key.

The current version works well for me, except USB support for webcams, the main reason I need XP. When (if) this is addressed I will purchase, but not before.

I would support a date expire beta.

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

All history about trial/beta keys was cleared today for both Mac and Windows/Linux.
    You can request new keys and proceed with beta testing.

10. ppinter1

ppinter1 Bit poster

Thank you...

... we now return to our regularly scheduled programming ;)

11. Victor

Victor Member

Great. Lets hope I wont need another trial key ;)

12. WeTestForYou

WeTestForYou Bit poster

Why enforce a general trial period on Beta code?

I would even say: Why enforce a general trial period on Beta code?

Parallels should obviously more than profit from the the beta-phase, ´cause the savings in man-power and developing costs with all the valuable feedback of committed users are obvious. For the final product ok, but a general trial on a beta? Strange...

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

We did it to avoid users confusion with many different keys for different products: beta, trial, production and so on.

14. etresoft

etresoft Junior Member

Parallels costs $80 and your Garmin USB GPS costs how much?

Considering that it works with just about every other, non-flaky Windows program out there while still being less expensive than any of them, why don't you just buy it so they will have money to hire someone dedicated to USB support?