Accessing Shared Folders when in Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Brian C. Stradale, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale Bit poster

I can only run for any length of time in Safe Mode. I fear I am going to need to delete my current Windows XP VM and start a new one from scratch. But I first need to preserve a bunch of critical files. So, I was going to copy them to the folder I am sharing between my Mac and PC via Parallels. However, when in XP, when I double-click on the shortcut that gets me to that shared folder, it does nothing.

Now, it used to be when I would boot up and hit F8, I'd get 4 choices: Boot Normal, Boot Safe Mode, Boot Safe Mode with Networking, and Boot Safe Mode with Command Prompt. When I selected plain Safe Mode, it wouldn't allow the networking operation when I tried to access Parallels Shared Folder. But when I boot in Safe Mode with Networking, it would let me access those folders. Great!

However, for some reason it changed... now when I boot up and hit F8, I get a longer list of choices. If I choose Safe Mode with Networking, it then asks which OS to use (which it didn't ask before)... though there's just one choice, Windows XP Professional. I choose that, and it seems to boot up in Safe Mode with Networking like before. However, when I try to access the Parallels Shared Folder by double-clicking that shortcut, nothing happens. Like its not double-clickable.

Can anyone offer any clues?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

What I would do is create a new VM without deleting anything, then after it's working, connect your current .hdd file as a second disk, and copy whatever files you need, then trash the old VM.

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale Bit poster

Oh! Didn't know that was possible! Thanks for the tip.