Run from installed system instead of image file

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by gjlamb, Jul 29, 2006.

1. gjlamb

gjlamb Bit poster

Let me say first off, that out of the box, this product is awesome. The USB issue is annoying at the moment but I'm sure in time it will be fixed.

Just realised there's another thread on this and it is proposed.....Awesome.

What would be nice (if possible) is that if there are these sorts of issues where you just have to run a real session of Windows, you can run Parallels from an existing BootCamp installed version of Windows (etc). That way you don't have to have 2 installs of Windows on the one Mac. Just install the one copy via BootCamp so you can reboot if you need a non VM session but the rest of the time, run the same install via Parallels.

Greg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. oranabana

oranabana Bit poster

Couldn't agree more - can't see why this can't be done!

3. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit poster

This feature would be awesome!

I have to use MS Windows only programs on my Apple and would prefer use them in Parallels while running OSX. However, for law school the exam software only works in a "normal" windows enviornment because it locks to computer down to prevent cheating.

If this feature were available it would greatly simplify things - only one install - same software - same configuration - would be very nice.

4. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

That, sure would be great, but won't come without some difficulties, I presume.

The key point of this is that the hardware seen by Windows when booting natively (BootCamp) is *very* different than the hardware seen when booting as a VM (Parallels). And many drivers, but possibly also some core OS components will have to be switched from version A to B and then from B to A when booting in one environment and then the other.

The hardware profiles might help solving that, but I'm not so sure to what extent it will help.

And then there is the Windows Activation thing. Odds are that it will probably think you are now running an entirely different computer, requiring a new activation.

So your request would certainly be useful, but might be un-practical in real life. Unless Parallels can find tricks to work-around all these potential issues.

And besides all this, first Parallels Desktop would need to be extended to support native disks and partitions, which it doesn't for now. That makes a lot of things to be solved, developed, and the all before getting this model to life. I bet you should not expect this around the corner of the year. But I'm not in any way Parallels so who knows what they will deliver and when?...

By the way, a lot of other threads have already been run on this subject. Use the search feature of these forums to read more.

5. omero

omero Member