VM quits unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbmelby, Sep 15, 2006.

1. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

I've just installed build 1892 on my Mac Pro. I launched WXP Home, uninstalled the Parallels Tools, restarted the VM, installed the Parallels Tools from 1892, and restarted the VM again as normally. However, now when I launch the VM, the WXP splash screen appears and then the VM quits without an error message of any kind. I've tried relaunching the VM several times, choosing the various booting options (safe mode, safe mode with networking, last configuration that worked, and so on) with the same result. If anyone out there has had this problem and solved it, I'd appreciate suggestions.

2. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Update:

I reverted to 1884 and tried to relaunch the VM again, with the same results as in my previous post in this thread. However, I had backed up my VM, and after I switched to the backup, everything worked as before. So evidently the process of installing the Parallels Tools under build 1892 corrupted my VM drive image. This is a good argument for backing up your VM!

3. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Update #2:

I've just installed build 1896.2 and updated the Parallels Tools. So far, it works like a charm!

4. mbarsoom

mbarsoom Bit poster

Can't install parallels tools in new 1896.2

I was able to install windows XP on my quad 3 MacPro using this new version, however when I try install the parallels tools the virutal machine just unexpectedly quits, no errors no nothing.

Mike

5. thorby

thorby Member

I don't believe it's Parallels Tools -- see my post about VM quitting -- this happens also with an Ubuntu Linux VM, which doesn't use the Tools.

There's a general problem where a VM will seem to run great for a while and then starts quitting for no apparent reason.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Our latest build still has issues on Mac Pro with more than 2G of RAM. Our developers working 24 hours a day to resolve this and fix will be avalable soon. I apologise for inconvinience.

7. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Well, I'm running on a Mac Pro with 3 GB RAM and no maxmem setting, and everything's working fine so far with 1896.2.

8. iammattu

iammattu Junior Member

vm quits

Same problem (more or less)
    Running MAC Pro with 2gb and build 1896.2.
    When i launch parallels the program opens then closes - and MAC reports an error (quit unexpectedly). When i click reopen ... the program launches and i'm able to run my vm.
    And this is consisent now - i.e. never stays open on the initial launch.
    Tried to create a new VM ... but got same problem - shrug?

9. danimal39

danimal39 Junior Member

Same thing on a 17" MBP. My VM ran for a while great then all of a sudden it *poof*, disappears with no error message. I do have 2GB of RAM, but now I can't get into XP with even safe mode. Doh! Guess I'll have to reinstall XP...=(