Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by alexbet, Sep 18, 2006.

1. alexbet

alexbet Junior Member

I have a problem that I can't solve no matter what I do. I have a Mac Pro, Parallels 1892.6 installed, and Win XP Pro as the guest system. I have a shared folder on the guest system called "Webs" where I keep the files for the websites that I develop and test with IIS because I code in ASP.

Yesterday, I was able to access that computer (called Earth) and the shared folder without a problem. Today, I can't access the shared folder at all, nor connect to that computer. When I browse the network, I can see the guest. But then when I try to connect to the guest and choose the shared folder to connect to, I am getting an error that says "The alias Earth could not be opened because the original item cannot be found". I also tried to access the IIS on the guest (I could access it yesterday), but I can't.

It is very strange because I can ping the guest system, and I can see the Earth computer, but I can't connect to it. What am I doing wrong? I checked everything 100 times, but I can't find what is wrong. The shared folder seem to be setup correctly on the Earth computer. It is responding to pings. So what can be wrong? Any suggestions are more then welcome.

Please help!!! Thanks!
    Alex

2. HWgeek

HWgeek Junior Member

Alex,
    Ran into the same problem a while back, solution for me was to goto the finder -
    Go --> connector to server
    smb://yourmachineIP/subfolderORsharename

I don't know why the alias are broken from Mac OSX towards windows, but it just seems to happen.

Hope this helps.

3. alexbet

alexbet Junior Member

Hi HWGeek,

I already tried that many times but with no success.

However, I found out what is causing this. When I first logged in with the guest OS, I had the DHCP automatically assign the guest OS an IP address. Then, I decided that I will assign a static IP address (a different one) for the guest OS, so I made the necessary changes in the router for the DHCP. What happened is that the Mac was continuously trying to reach the guest OS in the first known IP address for some reason and that is why I couldn't reach it. When I tried assigning the first IP address to the guest OS and THEN tried to access the shared folder and the guest computer, it DID work. I was stunned!!!

What may be causing this and what is the solution? Maybe the development team should look into this!?