Parallels staff: Please comment on Garmin compatibility

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by firestarter, Sep 18, 2006.

1. firestarter

firestarter Bit poster

Well, there seem to have been a lot of threads discussing the incompatibility of various Garmin units with Parallels, but thus far I haven't seen a single comment from Parallels themselves about whether this is something they're planning to get working.

Having re-switched to Mac 4 years ago (had an LC and Vx back in the day) I've got all my productivity programs, utilities, web apps etc. working fine on the Mac. The only thing I still need my PC for is to support Garmin mapsource - so this is the primary reason for purchasing Parallels desktop.

Just some indication that this is a problem that's being worked on would be really helpful.

Thanks!

2. nivenh

nivenh Member

hopefully you're petitioning garmin for an osx client as much as you are parallels to add tweaks for a specific app.

i'd personally rather them work on broad compatibility than code specific to a garmin device.

3. firestarter

firestarter Bit poster

I agree totally - Garmin's progress on this is very disappointing, particulary considering their positive statment back in January - which has now turned into just the Forerunner conversion by the end of the year.

At least for non-mapping GPSs (I own a Geko as well as a mapping GPS) we have MacGPSPro. Coupled with Google Earth KML import, MacGPSPro/Google Earth is an awesome combination for waypoint generation.

4. dmacd

dmacd Junior Member

Soon one way or the other

Its a race to see who will get Garmin to work on a Mac first, Parallels or Garmin themselves ( see http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html ). Either way you should be able to get your Garmin machine up and running someday. Garmin say by the end of 2006 but I doubt it. They have been late with products in the past. But there is hope for 2007.

5. firestarter

firestarter Bit poster

Yeah, well - they put out an updated press release in June:
    http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/062706.html

Looks like they're at least 6 months delayed, which puts Mapsource at mid 2007.

I can't really understand why. Mapsource has a pretty basic interface - which shouldn't take a great deal of effort to port.

6. keirnna

keirnna Member

7. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

... but only topo maps are available, from various 3rd party sources that may or may not be easily made to work with Mac/Garmin/GPSy. And certainly no uploadable (Mac to GPS) topo maps, an no routeable street maps. So it's a reasonable solution for a technically savvy hiker or geocacher, but not for most other users.

I finally have a solution for my PPC Macs (Guest PC 1.9.7 beta works slowly but perfectly with MapSource, nRoute and USB Garmin receivers) but no solution yet for my Intel Macs (other than the BootCamp route, which I'm trying to avoid since I really don't want to have to buy Windows XP.)

8. UnoriginalNick

UnoriginalNick Bit poster

Garmin compatibility is a major issue (in fact it's the deciding factor) for me, but mapsource is irrelevant. I use GPS real time tracking for mountain rescue work and the software I use (Maptech Terrain Navigator) is for windows only. I've tried national geographic's TOPO! which is the only USGS 7.5 minute mapping program available for mac, but found it effectively worthless. I need windows to run Terrain Navagator, and I need the GPS interface for real time tracking. That's the only reason I will buy Parallels, but they have so far failed to comment on the issue and my trial period has expired. I would greatly like to hear from someone on the development team about this issue.

9. hhwong

hhwong Member

You still need to buy Win XP with Parallels too...

10. firestarter

firestarter Bit poster

But that doesn't handle routable Garmin Mapsource maps!

11. pturner

pturner Bit poster

Mac Navigation software

I know this doesn't completely address the USB problem Parallels is having, but there is a really good Mac OSX based navigation system out that will certainly work with your Garmin GPS. Here's the link http://www.gpsnavx.com/. They also have a very similar product that uses ENC charts - I have this one and like it.

12. fredcast

fredcast Member

I'm sorry, and I do not mean to offend, but I think this is a non-response and does nothing to further the subject at hand.

As I said elsewhere in this forum, we're all Mac users here and we all would like every one of our applications and every piece of hardware to be compatible with the Mac. The reality is, however, that this will never be possible. I will still need to use AutoCAD under Parallels or Boot Camp and it would be silly, naive even, for me to simply expect AutoDesk or the makers of thousands of other hardware and/or software items to just decide to make their products Mac-compatible. This is why we purchased Intel Macs, why we are Parallels customers, and why we are on this forum.

As for Garmin, I have been hammering them about the need to move forward in haste on their Macintosh project and they have assured me that they are.

But we must play the hands we are dealt and the fact of the matter is that Garmin hasn't finished the project, thereby leaving us Mac users in need of a solution. So far, Boot Camp is the only solution available. If Parallels is going to be a true implementation of Windows virtualization on the Mac, then the Parallels team needs to address issues such as these.

That's my $0.02. What do the Parallels team have to say about this issue? So far, they have been conspicuously silent.

David

------------------------------------------
    The FredCast Cycling Podcast
    www.thefredcast.com
    thefredcast@gmail.com

13. nivenh

nivenh Member

i was just stating the obvious. you say it would naive of you to expect autodesk or other software makers to make mac clients of their software, yet you expect parallels to spend time and money making ONE usb-dependant application work properly after the maker of said application has already committed to delivering an OSX client in the near future. so they could have an edge for what.. 2 months, 3 months? 6 months?.. when i'd wager 99.9% of their userbase doesn't need Garmin software at all? it just sounds completely ridiculous.

they should and most likely will focus their efforts on areas that they think are profitable. i would assume that broad usb compatibility being one of those areas, since once you have that the rest will tend to fall into place.

the hand you are dealt is that you'll either have to install BootCamp for the time being, or wait for Garmin's OSX client. play it.

i've probably explained exactly why they have been silent. i'm truly sorry for the tone of this message, but i find it extremely frustrating that threads like this keep popping up. its obviously a usb problem in this particular instance, and they've stated TIME AND TIME AGAIN that they're working on usb compatibility both in the release notes and on the forum.

14. MartyMcr

MartyMcr Hunter

USB Devices

I agree Parallels should comment but I don't see how they can devote resources to getting device X or Y working at this time - there are thousands of USB devices. I'd imagine once they get the USB handling mopre sorted - hopefully with USB 2 support - then more devices will just work.

I'm not sure what size of development team they have but I get the impression it's fairly small.

15. etresoft

etresoft Junior Member

First of all, why would it be silly to expect AutoDesk, etc. to make their products Mac-compatible? It used to run on the Macintosh years ago. Considering that AutoCAD costs $4000, it is reasonable to expect that most people running AutoCAD are doing it on a dedicated PC.

I don't think the Parallels team has been silent at all. They have been releasing beta versions at a pretty fast pace. They don't have the resources of Microsoft or Adobe or VMWare, so should they focus on Mac Pro compatibility or Garmin compatibility?

16. jfjalest

jfjalest Bit poster

Garmin is working with Parallels

As stated in another tread, all is not bleak!

After having upgraded from Legend C to Legend CX, Mapsource is working fine! :) :)

I guess this demonstrates that Garmin did have a non-standard implementation of USB, but have been improving.

17. dadama

dadama Bit poster

Garmin 60CSx works

I have been using my Garmin Map60CSx with Parallels on my MacBook pro for since July with absolutely no problems. I also have no problems using it with DNR Garmin which allows me to download my files dierctly into ArcView. I have heard that the previous Garmin models such as the Garmin Map60CS can't be used under parallels. It sounds to me it's an issue that should be taken up with Garmin rather than Parallels, perhaps it something that can be fixed with a firmware fix or just go out a buy a newer model Garmin. You'll enjoy the fact that the newer x models have removable memory and the antenna has been vastly improved.

As previously suggested, I would rather the Parallels team focus on USB 2. support and an RC that runs reliably on the MacPro than address obscure 3rd party hardware glitches.

Cheers,
    Dadama

18. Jerry

Jerry Member

The Garmin StreetPilot i3 and Nuvi 360 also works within Parallels without any issues.

19. gjlazar

gjlazar Member

Garmin Street Pilot 2610 USB Problem

Garmin Street Pilot is running fine under Parallels after fooling around with it or three days. Key was not to work in full screen so you can see the Parallels "Device" menu. After turning on the Street Pilot the Device menu under USB shows a "Vendor specific" item followed with a computer address. After you put a check mark by it you get the beep and windows sees it and identifys it as a Garmin. I then ran and installed mapsource etc. I have transferred data to and from the Garmin unit with no difficulty.

20. bobodobo

bobodobo Member

But I have an old copy of Windows 2000 that works fine for things like MapSource (except for USB connectivity of course). Can't use W2000 with BootCamp.