"Unable to Communicate with Hypervisor"???

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by billmccl, Sep 14, 2006.

1. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

I am running the Mac Pro 3.0 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, OSX 10.4.7, with Parallels RC 1884.

Have run Windows XP fine yesterday, suspended the version to power down last night. Now, when I try to reactivate the VM version of windows, I get a message "Unable to communicate with Hypervisor", and nothing else happens. have checked the routes for the configuration file and the VM file, and everything appears normal. Everything is normal on the MAc side of the house.

Help!

What did I do wrong?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This problem on Mac Pro is already fixed and fix will be included in the nearest public update.

3. billmccl

billmccl Junior Member

I guess that means I am dead until then.

Can I run the Parallel file on another machine, a MacBook Pro with Parallels installed?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

5. dnanian

dnanian Member

I've tried the 1896.2 update, and I'm unable to get anything to start due to the "unable to communicate with Hypervisor" error (on a Mac Pro).

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling: any idea what I'm doing wrong, Andrew?

6. kgregc

kgregc Member

dnanian,

How much memory do you have installed in your MacPro?

7. Andrew @ Parallels

1. Did you rebooted after installation? Try if you didn't.
    2. Did you changed Parallels app location in previous installations? If so than uninstall and manually remove Parallels app from location where you placed it and then install 1896.2 again.

PS: If you have > 2G RAM there still could be issues. You can try bootarg option maxmem 2048 as a temporarily workaround. We are working hard and will deliver support for more than 2G RAM soon.

8. pwith

pwith Member

Much better. The 1896.2 update runs quick and internet support is flawless again. Now, if we can get rid of that pesky little VTx warning message I will be a happy camper.

Peter

9. Andrew @ Parallels

pwith,

Put your Mac to sleep and wake up - it will enable VT-x feature until next reboot. After reboot you'll have to make sleep/wake stuff again.

10. dnanian

dnanian Member

I have rebooted and that allowed the VM to try to start. With maxmem=2048, I can begin to start the VM, but then I hang with the VM's "disk light" on (and I end up having to power cycle). So, something's still not working.

11. nsteinmetz

nsteinmetz Bit poster

Error message: "Unable to allocate memory for monitor PE!"

I have uninstalled Parallels, reinstalled the 1896.2 update, launched parallels, created a new default (Windows XP) VM, and attempted to turn on the VM but received the "Unable to communicate with hypervisor" error.

I then rebooted the Mac Pro and tried again; the unable to communicate with hypervisor error no longer appeared, but I received an error message stating "Unable to map VM memory! (2)".

I then put the Mac Pro to sleep and tried again after waking it. The unable to map VM memory error no longer appeared, but I now receive an error message stating "Unable to allocate memory for monitor PE!"

Any suggestions on what to try next?

By the way, I have not used the maxmem=2048 limitation and do not consider this a reasonable solution. If I didn't need more than 2 GB of memory I wouldn't have bought more, and if I want to reboot to run Windows aps I can do this with Bootcamp.

Mac Pro 2.66/2.66 5GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, Apple 30" Cinema Display
    OS 10.4.7 Build 8K1079

12. kgregc

kgregc Member

Sorry, but I would say you can dig your heels in and refuse to try the suggestion on principal..and fail... or you can try the suggestion and see if it works. If so, you have made progress, and you will just have to work with less memory, or wait until that particular bug is fixed.

I would at least try the memory limit and see if it works....then decide to use Parallels or Boot Camp... but it's just one person's opinion.

13. pwith

pwith Member

Andrew

I am aware of the 'put to sleep' fix. You are going to implement a permanent fix for this I hope.

Thanks to everybody in the development team for all your hard work.

Peter

14. Andrew @ Parallels

pwith,

VT-x problem is Apple firware bug - nothing we can do from our side. We opened issue in their bugtracker and I hope they prepare firmware update soon.

15. thebutch

thebutch Bit poster

Unable to communicate with hypervisor - solved

Wow, I had the exact same problem today after rebooting. I downloaded/installed this build on my MacPro 2.66 Ghz 2GB RAM, and it immediately solved the problem.

Thank you so much for your help.

16. kshusker

kshusker Member

Give how much Apple is promoting Parallels and how close (hopefully) they are working with you guys, I would hope they make this bug a high priority for a fix.