Recognizing Video Card in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by circusrunaway, Sep 18, 2006.

1. circusrunaway

circusrunaway Bit poster

I just installed Windows XP on my new Macbook Pro using Parallels. When I tried running a computer game, I got an error that DirectDraw Acceleration was not working. After running DirectX Diganostic Tool, I learned that I needed to upgrade my video driver.
    The problem is that Windows XP sn't recognizing my video card. It just says a "generic" card, and is using a "generic" driver. I downloaded the correct driver for my card (ATI Radeon X1600), but when I tried to install it, it didn't recognize that it was installed. It's working fine in OS X.

Any help?

2. keirnna

keirnna Member

It seems no one else wants to break the news to you. Parallels is a virtual envirionment, not a direct copy of the hardware you are running. You need to install the Parallels tools, and that will install a more specific video driver; however, your "Parallels Computer" doesn't have a ATI Radieon X1600, and you most likely will never be able to play anythink other than simple 2D games in Parallels.

If you have more questions just post here and I will try and help you.