Mac Pro firmware revision out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Pleiades, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

There are two patches to the firmware out now, one for EFI and one for SMC. Could there possibly be the fix we Mac Pro users have wanted, i.e. the fix for VT-X? Probably not as it seems too soon, but unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment to try it.

Has anyone downloaded and installed the EFI firmware? If so, did it do anything noticeable?

2. rototom

rototom Bit poster

I have installed both and it did not affect the VT-X error anyway :mad:

May be next time....

Regards
    Thomas

3. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

I'll bet the fixes were for Boot Camp. I installed Vista with Boot Camp and had many BSOD's in wd.sys, usually on restarts. Apple mentions some startup issues, so I'm wondering if they addressed that particular one. Oh well, I was hoping the VT-X issue would go away since that thread concerning turning on VT-X permanently just didn't work for me.

4. rototom

rototom Bit poster

Yes, the EFI firmware will fix several boot camp issues and start up issues. The SMC update will fix fan related issues.

Regards
    Thomas

5. rickkas7

rickkas7 Bit poster

9/19 Mac Pro firmware updated didn't fix VT-x for me

9/19 Mac Pro firmware updated didn't fix VT-x for me. The Sleep trick still works, but it doesn't affect the initial state. VT-x isn't enabled in Boot Camp either (such as running VMWare workstation then attempting to use a 64-bit guest OS).

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ reported that the firmware update solved the problem for one person, but no confirmation from anyone else.

vmx-set-var.efi didn't work for me before or after the firmware update.