Scanner crashes windows xp, and macbook pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dmgwork, Jun 15, 2006.

1. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

Using a Xerox 252 duplex scanner on a usb port seems to not only crash windows xp but also crashes the MacBook Pro. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am using the released version of Parallels

The software that is being used to scan is Paperport, this software works fine in XP with a network scanner, but crashes with the Xerox 252. Both work fine on my Vaio.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. wendyh

wendyh Junior Member

Scanner crashes Windows XP too

I have a similar problem with my Canon LiDE 35, though it doesn't crash the MacBook Pro, only Windows. I've installed the latest drvers from Canon, but all I need to do to get Windows to instantly blue screen is to plug the scanner into the USB port and allow Windows to try plug 'n play. The process also has the scanner make some horrendous grinding noises before the whole thing falls over. Trying to use TWAIN acquire in my graphics software has the same effect.

Is this something to do with Parallels not having USB 2.0 support?

(I'm using the Final Release version of Parallels with new tools installed. I hadn't tried connecting the scanner in previous releases.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  3. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

USB 2.0 v 1.0

I have noticed the same problem from all applications. although my scanner supports usb 2.0 it will work with usb 1.0 so I am not sure this is the problem

4. endlessbender

endlessbender Member

I have the same problem with my Xerox 252, which is a real shame because it was my favorite piece of technology before I switched to Mac. Right now, it mounts fine and the "OT" for one-touch pops up fine (of course after telling me that it would be faster if it was usb 2.0). Then it starts the scan and then wham blue screen and restart. OSX and the Macbook Pro are stable and do not crash.

Is there any hope for usb 2.0 and me being able to scan or print from windows?

Macbook Pro 2.16
    OSX 10.4.7
    1gig RAM
    Parallels 1862.2

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  5. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

Not sure, I asked Parallels about it, I asked if parallels would ever support it and if not to give me a refund. Their answer was that they would give me a refund. only problem is they never followed through with their offer to refund me.

6. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

problem fixed

the xerox scanner is now working so i guess this is no longer an issue.

7. wendyh

wendyh Junior Member

Maybe not for Xerox, but my Canon scanner still doesn't work. Neither does the Canon iP4300 printer I got a couple of months back. Both knock Windoze flat on its back every time I try to use them, and to date I haven't found a solution.