Can't start 1898 VMs - lockup/freeze

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dnanian, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dnanian

dnanian Member

Well, after yesterday's relative success, today I tried to start a VM (Windows XP) four times. Each time, I was greeted -- immediately upon hitting the "Start" button -- with a spinning pinwheel and a locked cursor.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, verifying my memory limits, restarting, etc with no luck. I just cannot get my VM to start, and the forced-power-off shutdowns are wearing.

The only unusual thing I've seen in the system log is this:

Code:
    Sep 20 12:52:53 MacPro kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor started.
    Sep 20 12:52:56 MacPro kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Sep 20 12:52:58 MacPro configd[73]:   target=enable-network: disabled
    Sep 20 12:53:02 MacPro SystemStarter[81]: Parallels VirtualMachine drivers (184) did not complete successfully
    Sep 20 12:53:03 MacPro SystemStarter[81]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
    Sep 20 12:53:03 MacPro SystemStarter[81]: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    Sep 20 12:53:03 MacPro SystemStarter[81]:  - execution of Startup script failed
    No indication as to why the VM drivers "did not complete successfully", just that they didn't.

Any help/suggestions to get me over this annoying hump?

2. Robb18@mac.com

Robb18@mac.com Bit poster

I have the same problem. Started today after the Mac Pro firmware upgrade if that helps. I thought I was set yesterday and need this up for Accounting (Quickbooks Pro) ASAP.

3. dnanian

dnanian Member

Mine was after the firmware update, too, but this was also nearly my first reboot since getting it going, so that might not be relevant.

4. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

No go

Same problem here. Just freezes when you start a VM. Create a new one = same result. When this happens the system just locks up as well. Will not respond to force-quit and need to hard boot the system. I think I will just give up for a few months.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

The version with full support of 64 bit Macs (Mac Pro and iMac Core 2 Duo) and support for any amount of RAM will be out in a matter of week. Sorry for inconvinience with this temporary build.

6. dnanian

dnanian Member

Right, Andrew, but I'm limited to 2000 at this point and I'm in legacy mode. Should it still hang/crash like this, before it even gets started?

7. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

THIS IS MY EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

I've had this issue since the first beta that was supposed to work on the Mac Pro, and each new beta has been just as bad. I don't know what the hell is going on with the software. I have a trouble shooting ticket with them, but no progress yet.

It crashes sometimes at pressing the green arrow or in the middle of installing windows or while I'm in Windows. But once it DOES crash there's no getting back into Windows again or continuing the installation process. You have to start over completely.

I have only today left on my trial, so I don't know how I'm gonna be able to test before I buy. And I really want to buy parallels, but I'm hoping for a miracle solution today.

They asked me to look at a panic.log, but it doesn't exist. The system never really panics, it just locks up. Anyway, any help would be great.

Andrew, are you saying this issue is going to be resolved in the upcoming update? Or are you HOPING it will? Some more clarity would be great.

8. Andrew @ Parallels

It shouldn't crash in your situation. We will investigate this.

9. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

Same here. I checked and after the install my RAM was set to 2GB instead of the factory installed 4GB. I am on a Mac Pro X 2 Dual core Intel Xenon 3ghz cpu's.

10. arnoud

arnoud Junior Member

I had the same problem with Parallels freezing my Mac hard (no kernel panics) with the latest version.

I did some digging and I noticed the same thing in the system log:

Code:
    Sep 19 21:43:26 Quad kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor started.
    Sep 19 21:43:26 Quad kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Sep 19 21:43:29 Quad SystemStarter[73]: Parallels VirtualMachine drivers (138) did not complete successfully
    Sep 19 21:43:29 Quad configd[64]:   target=enable-network: disabled
    Sep 19 21:43:30 Quad SystemStarter[73]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
    Sep 19 21:43:30 Quad SystemStarter[73]: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    Sep 19 21:43:30 Quad SystemStarter[73]:  - execution of Startup script failed
    Sep 19 21:47:38 Quad kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor exited.
    Sep 19 21:47:42 Quad kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor started.
    Sep 19 21:47:43 Quad kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Sep 19 21:47:46 Quad mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en3 (FE80:0000:0000:0000:0201:23FF:FE45:6789); delaying packets by 5 seconds
    Sep 19 21:48:02 Quad mDNSResponder: Repeated transitions for interface en3 (10.37.129.2); delaying packets by 5 seconds

after some digging in the StartupItem I noticed this line:

Code:
        # as well as Cisco VPN client
        /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart

after commenting that last line out, since I do not have the CiscoVPN software installed, I now only get these syslog entries upon startup of the Mac:

Code:
    Sep 19 22:02:24 Quad kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor started.
    Sep 19 22:02:25 Quad kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Sep 19 22:02:27 Quad bootpd[214]: interface en1: ip 192.168.99.211 mask 255.255.255.0
    Sep 19 22:02:27 Quad bootpd[214]: interface en3: ip 192.168.2.1 mask 255.255.255.0

and so far, no freezes... Of course this could just be a coincidence, but hey, it works :)

Commenting out the line should not be Parallel's solution of course, maybe test for existence of /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN before trying to start it?

But I have had no luck getting VT-x enabled by putting my MacPro to sleep... (update: well, it has just worked for the first time...)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  11. dnanian

dnanian Member

If it helps, the screen seems to continue working (I can see some things updating). But, anything that accesses the disk locks up... and the keyboard/mouse won't work at all.

Eventually, as you'd expect, everything stops completely.

Is there anything else I can provide? I sent in an awful lot of bug reports before, but no one ever responded to any of them. I even paid for a support event and never got a callback.

12. Andrew @ Parallels

Thank you very much for info!

13. dnanian

dnanian Member

I tried commenting out the Cisco VPN line in the startup item and restarting, and it made no difference for me.

I'm happy to provide the info, Andrew, but do you have any suggestions?

14. Robb18@mac.com

I have no Cisco VPN in startup...

...and still lock up the system hard when I try to run. I to am set to 2GB on a machine with 2GB physical RAM.

15. arnoud

arnoud Junior Member

I am not saying that commenting out the line was the solution, just that after doing so my constant reproduceable freezes stopped.

Can you open your Console and view the systemlog and see if you have any errors relating to the (not) loading of the Parallels kernel extensions/startup items?

If you go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet, is Internet Sharing On?

16. Robb18@mac.com

Internet Sharing is OFF

This is all I could find in the console:

Sep 20 10:23:58 Robs-Xeon-Tower kernel[0]: Parallels Workstation Hypervisor started.
    Sep 20 10:24:03 Robs-Xeon-Tower kernel[0]: com_parallels_kext_Pvsvnic: Ethernet address 00:01:23:45:67:89
    Sep 20 10:24:05 Robs-Xeon-Tower configd[37]: target=enable-network: disabled
    Sep 20 10:24:07 Robs-Xeon-Tower SystemStarter[47]: Parallels VirtualMachine drivers (133) did not complete successfully
    Sep 20 10:24:27 Robs-Xeon-Tower SystemStarter[47]: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels

Sep 20 10:24:27 Robs-Xeon-Tower SystemStarter[47]: The following StartupItems failed to properly start:
    Sep 20 10:24:27 Robs-Xeon-Tower SystemStarter[47]: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    Sep 20 10:24:27 Robs-Xeon-Tower SystemStarter[47]: - execution of Startup script failed

17. Gohanmix

Gohanmix Bit poster

Hard Lock up

ok it sounds like my problem is kind of similar to all these.

I am working with a Brand new iMac. 2GB ram, 250GB drive, the works. One of the first things i did was try to install Parallels Desktop for Mac, so taht i could install XP.

I installed the program, created the XP virtual machine with 20,000 drive, and 512MB of memory. Got everything setup, and went to seleve my CD/DVD drive in the device list, and everything was grayed out. so i figured it tell me something. so preceded to start the VM. I press the start button, and BAM...the computer locks hard with a gray overlay telling me i have to hold and press the power button, power off the machine, and the boot it back up. i went through this a couple of times checking my settings, and still had the same results. So i tried un-installing completly and restarting and then starting over again. after all this, i got the same results.i even tried creating another VM with the first still existing. Still same problem. I came to the website and downloaded the latest version and installed it. SAME PROBLEM!!! what am i doing wrong. i really need to run XP on here, and can't get my VM to start, without it locking my machine hard. i even tried creating an image of my XP CD and replaceing the CD/DVD drive with it to see if i could get it to load, and i got the same result. A Hard Lock. If anyone has any solutions please help...i assume since its brand new, that it has the latest firmware too. Thanks

18. rototom

rototom Bit poster

Are you shure that you are using the latest build (1898)? This sound to me like the things happened to me with earlier builds. I am currently using 1898 without any probs on my MacPro 2,66 GHz, 6 GB RAM (limited to 2 GB), 250 GB HD, 1,2 GB Raid, ATI X1900 XT... Was working yesterday over the whole day with Windows XP simultaneous to OSX applications with folder sharing, internet networking etc. without any prob. Also yesterday morning I swtiched to the ATI X1900 XT card flawlessly. I also have installed the recent EFI firmware update and the SMC update (but I have installed the 1898 build before the firmware upgrades). I am quite happy now with it, but it will be much greater when we receive the build which will address all RAM > 2 GB. :D

Best regards
    Thomas

19. SiskoKid

SiskoKid Member

No, it's all of the versions. Current build included.

The person right above you is having kernel panics. The rest of us, our systems just lock up completely and we have to force reboot. After your like 6th reboot in 15 minutes, yo get kinda pissed off and freaked out. It's not something you should be doing to your computer, so we're waiting for some actual progress and some updates.

The troubleshooting ticket I sent it specifically states I'm having trouble with version 1898 and they sent me an e-mail last night asking if I installed version 1998, and I don't know if they know of a version we all don't, or they typed it wrong and didn't even read my trouble ticket.

I love this software, in theory, but it would be nice if there was a little more clarity in what's going on considering it is in beta form.

20. dnanian

dnanian Member

At least you got a response, SiskoKid. I've been writing for days and never get anything back.