Cisco VPN Client compatibiliy problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Joe Long, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Joe Long

Joe Long Bit poster

Installing build 1898 still produced kernel panics upon installing and rebooting on my system. I remembered reading on the forum that someone had success after uninstalling his Cisco VPN client, so I moved the Cisco folder out of /System/Library/StartupItems and rebooted. After I did that, I was able to install and run Parallels Desktop successfully, and reboot successfully. However, upon restoring the Cisco folder to /System/Library/StartupItems, my system would again crash with a kernel panic on bootup.

As I need the VPN far more than I need Windows, I had to uninstall Desktop again.

My version of Cisco VPN Client is 4.9.00 (0050)

If some of you are still having kernel panics on installation or bootup, and you are running the Cisco VPN and can do without it, try uninstalling the VPN or just moving the Cisco folder out of /System/Library/StartupItems.

2. davidaf

davidaf Junior Member

The cisco VPN client wouldn't work at all on my Mac Pro (Kernel panics). I did install the Cisco VPN Client in my Parallels VM without issue. I use that to connect to the office. Until Cisco can give us a working client for the Pro i'll stick with running it in a VM.

dave

3. Joe Long

Joe Long Bit poster

What version of Cisco VPN Client did you use? Mine is 100% solid, and I use it several times a day to various clients (I have ten accounts in it). Release 4.9.00 (0050)

4. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

I have a MBP 15" and Cisco VPN 4.9.00 (0050) and it works fine with parallels installed.

I connect multiple times a day with no issues and use parallels constantly.

What type of Mac do you have?

5. MatthewR

MatthewR Member

I use the Cisco VPN client 4.9.0.0050 regularly on my MBP 15", but its highly frustrating as it simply breaks networking between the host my VM. I have confirmed that the srever is not set to tell the client to restrict LAN access, and I can still communicate with other machines on the LAN, but the Parallels VMs on en2 get completely cut off.

I have heard of many instances where prior versions of the Cisco client caused kernel panics on their own. Sometimes when I start the VPN client, it just refuses to do anything until I reboot. I'd really like to stop using their trash. Does anyone know of other software that can connect to a Cisco VPN server?

6. davidaf

davidaf Junior Member

Was using 4.9.00 (0050). Never bothered to uninstall Parallels to see if it would work. Now that I think about it, VPN was working for a couple days. Hum... I'll just stick with VPN in a VM since I need windows to do work at the office anyway. But, once the final build is released i'll give it a second go.