Why I switched to Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mike g, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mike g

mike g Bit poster

Can't get my internet connection or printer to work. The internet worked at one time but no longer. I have tried enough combos, restarts etc. to remeber the headaches that I used to have with windows crap. The suggested fixes is to "ask the system admin"-there is no system admin.!

Think I wasted $ on the purchase of XP pro unless I can get someone to walk me through the final install.

I have a mac pro 2.66, with an extra 500 HD. I connect to the internet via ethernet connection to my cable modem.

Any suggestions?

2. Fred

Fred Junior Member

You have two choices to setup the network connection from the parallels VM.

If you use the bridged network your Mac will look like to different machines to the cable modem. Can it handle this? If it can you just have to setup the XP networking to DHCP from the modem/router.

If you use the host-only network you need to share your internet connection with it. Parallels creates a private network interface en2. It should be visible in the internet panel of the sharing system preference. You may also need to change the dhcp server in the parallels preferences to give out addresses in the 192.168.2.xxx range. The builtin firewall can also stop you reaching the internet so turn it off to start with. Your modem/router should provide this functionality for you anyway.

3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

It's been my experience that the bridged networking is the best way to go. To make it work with your cable modem you are gonna need some kind of inexpensive router. Something that can allocate DHCP addresses.

Put that device between your cable modem and your Mac. Setup BOTH your Mac and your Windows install to obtain an address automatically.

Works perfectly and as the other gent said this sets up your computer to look like two computers. One for Mac OS X, one for Windows.

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Oh... On printing... So far the best printing solution I've found (until Parallels fixes USB) is to download and install Apple's Bonjour.

Install it in XP and then if your printer is Bonjour compatible it will automatically show up and this works beautifully.

It may be that you can make a non-bonjour printer look like one by using software on the Mac side. Not sure about this. But this way your non-bonjour printer is served by your Mac OS and will appear to the bonjour wizard in Win XP.

M