VPN using XP as guest OS on macbook does'nt work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by divsorbit, Apr 13, 2006.

1. divsorbit

divsorbit Bit poster

I am trying to connect to a Sonicwall VPN from my MacBook using Windows XP as my guest OS. I don't know what I've configured incorrectly but I don't seem to be getting the Virtual IP address and subnet mask. Any ideas?

2. shaunconn

shaunconn Junior Member

Hi

Did you ever get this working? I have exactly the same challenge...

S

3. Fred

Fred Junior Member

VPN access

I'm not sure from your post whether you are running the VPN client on OS X or in XP?

My experience is limited to the CISCO VPN client.

If you have a VM running with host-only internet sharing, the CISCO VPN client destroys the parallels network. The VPN client does traffic stealing in the kernel and doesn't present a network interface you can talk to.

If I run the CISCO VPN client inside an XP VM over host-only internet sharing, XP gets connected to the VPN server as it should. Unfortunately, OS X is left out in the cold.

4. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Hey Fred,
    Have you discovered any workaround for this? For my work, I need to have my Mac OSX host connected to the Cisco VPN, and I need my Windows XP guest to be have regular (non-VPN) internet access. Unfortunately, I cannot get this to work using either host-only or bridged networking.
    Are you just living with it, as I am? I really hope to get this solved; unfortunately, I don't think there is much that Parallels can do, as this problem seems to be related to Cisco VPN and OSX, regardless of whether Parallels is involved.

5. Fred

Fred Junior Member

CISCO VPN and Parallels VMs

I have just been experimenting and I have had the CISCO VPN client working on both sides at the same time. I haven't rebooted yet so I don't know if there is some order of events that enabled it or whether it just works on my build of parallels. Certainly, host-only and CISCO do not mix.

I have the XP VM using the bridging adaptor and getting an IP address from my router/modem's dhcp server. The CISCO VPN client will start up and connect as it should.

On the OS X side the CISCO VPN client works as expected.

I am running build 1898 on a MacBook Pro.