Parallels forces a reboot every time I run. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ridergroov1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ridergroov1

ridergroov1 Bit poster

I downloaded the trial of Parallels and followed the manual to instlal and everything which is much like Virtual PC which I am used to. I go to start the VM and my screen goes gray and says that I have to reboot my mac. When I go back and do it again it asks me if I want to start the VM even though it is running even though I haven't done anything. I don't understand what is going on or how to fix it. Help. Thanks.

2. flinflon

flinflon Bit poster

I have the same exact issue as you.

I'm having the same problems with my mac system crashing when I try to run my VM to install Windows. I know it's not the CD because I succesfully used it to load Windows via boot camp. I've been reading around this forum and have noticed some stuff where Parallels is not recognizing the CD drive. I tried making my Windows installer CD into an image file to boot that way but I have the same problem with the system crashing. There is obviously a glitch in the program. If several people are having this issue. Hoepfully somone on this forum his found a solution.

3. sulam

sulam Bit poster

You want to be using newer versions that still aren't released on the public website, but which are linked from forum posts here. Look at the top of the forum for the sticky release, the latest is 1910. The public release does the kernel panic / reboot thing pretty reliably on the Mac Pro, for instance.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

It would be much easier to help all you wonderful folks if you would provide, on your first post, all of the following:

Exact Mac model
    Installed RAM
    OSX build number; did you install all Apple updates?
    RAM allocated to Parallels
    RAM allocated to guest
    Parallels build number
    Guest type and version (ie XP SP2, Win2k Pro SP4, etc.)

If you are having a networking problem:
    Network choice (bridged or host only)
    Does your network have a DHCP server, and what IP range it serves
    Wired or wireless
    Anything else that may be useful in eliminating branches of the possible solutions tree

You are more likely to get a useful resonse that way.

5. MarcoVettese

MarcoVettese Bit poster

I have the same problem

The installation of Parallels Desktop went smoothly, however when I go try to install the guest operating system (WinXP sp2) I get the message "You need to reboot your system". And you go round in circles.

Please help!

New iMac 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Mac OS X 10.4.7

Windows XP sp2
    Mem 496 MB

6. diomedes

diomedes Bit poster

have store-purchased copy, experiencing identical problem -
    support? - ! - ?? :) - not so far...
    oh yea, I forgot, for $30 I can call -

7. Andrew @ Parallels