1908 - MacBook Pro and Vista RC1: network busted

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dnanian, Sep 22, 2006.

1. dnanian

dnanian Member

I don't know whether it's supposed to work, but although I can get a properly configured network adapter under 1908 and RC1, I cannot get it to communicate properly.

I saw this same behavior with Beta 2: basically, the Windows Live "home page" will come up, and some text-based pages will appear, but most longer pages start to load and then almost immediatley get stuck, and "spin" forever, never loading the rest of their resources.

I've checked a lot of web sites, both inside my network and outside with the same results.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. controller

controller Member

Make sure you install the VMTools again in XP Compatablity mode. Also, make sure your -Mac- networking is working.

I found a couple of times I had to reboot because Parallels running Vista killed my internet access on my Mac. (It didn't work under Vista either, obviously). I don't know how to replicate the bug, but it seems to be only with Vista under 1908.

3. dnanian

dnanian Member

I did both; the networking does work, but only momentarily per web page. So I can view some short pages, but longer pages partially load or don't load at all. Mac networking is fine.

4. Mr_D

Mr_D Bit poster

I get the same thing - only i was getting it with 1898, and also the new 1910. Also, I have a new Core 2 Duo iMac - not a MacBook Pro - so I tried disabling VT-x support and still no dice. I'm a little lost.

The problem seems to be related to the amount of data transferred - I tried downloading firefox once, and it got to about 80%. It just hung, so I tried it again, only with a little more browsing involved, and it got to 40%.

5. dnanian

dnanian Member

Exactly right (although I'm transferring a lot less data in my case). Doesn't happen with XP, just Vista.

6. Mr_D

Mr_D Bit poster

For me, this is happening in XP - I'm downloading the Vista RC to see if it happens there as well.

7. dnanian

dnanian Member

Interesting! Well, I have to get things to the point where I can run relatively unimpeded (at present, my MacPro just will not run Parallels reliably), and I'll give XP a try again...

8. bfrancis

bfrancis Bit poster

It is happening to me in Vista -- no network even though it works find under MAC -- macbook pro