Internal build 1910 for Mac Pro and iMac Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Sep 23, 2006.

1. pwith

pwith Member

Removed 1898 - installed 1910 - on first start of Windows I was notified that my computer was capable of Vtx - closed Parallels desktop - put Mac Pro to sleep - awakened Mac Pro - started Windows - woooops - never seen it start so quickly.

Very nice job. Haven't done any checking on my 'sleep issues' yet. I trust that the VTx issue will be dealt with soon so that I don't have to put the Mac Pro to sleep. I seem to recall that as an issue during the original beta as well.

All in all - very nice job y'all!!

Peter

2. Pedge

Pedge Bit poster

Hi, just downloaded and installed the new 1910 version and all seems good so far.

I have one problem though - when Parallels is running the CD caddy on my Mac Pro 2ghz/3gb refuses to work. Sometimes I can eject the empty try but it wont close unless you push it - then you can't eject it until Parallels quits.

Any ideas why folks? :confused:

P.S. Volume goes mad when starting a virtual machine and also when starting XP - 100% volume, almost deafened myself!

3. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

I'll second Pedge's comments about 1910: CD tray won't eject, full volume on VM boot (but not resume from suspend.)

Other than that (and the VTx/sleep thing) all works very well.

Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM, 250GB and 300GB HDDs

4. rleung

rleung Bit poster

Hi all,

I am still having problems with build 1910 on my Mac Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 HD, X1900 Video card. Airport+BT. I previously installed 1898. Whenever I reboot->sleep for 10 seconds and start the VM, it will hang with no KP message. The VM I have is Fedora and Windows. I uninstalled 1898 and install 1910 but it's the same thing. I tried to recreate the VM config with the old hdd file, same thing.

The thing is it doesn't hang all the time. But if I am lucky enough to get one sucessful start of my VM and if I don't reboot, everything seems to run fine.

Any ideas? Or are the ones in the forum still having this issue having similar config as mine?

Thanks
    Ray

5. Frungy

Frungy Junior Member

on CD Tray closing...

I think the CD "inject" issue is with windows itself. I saw the same thing under Boot Camp with Apple's keyboard drivers. IIRC one cannot automatically close the tray from the context menu in windows, either. If I disconnect the CD from the VM then eject and inject work with the keypress as one expects under OS X.

6. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

Sweet

Just installed 1910 on a MacPro 2 X 3.0ghz cpu's 4GB RAM. To give it a good chance at succeeding I started with a clean slate and removed all earlier VM's and Parallels from my system. Did a clean install of a XP VM and it works like a champ. My Mac OS system still shows 4GB of memory so a deprecation of the internal memory was not required. Great work team.

7. STim

STim Bit poster

Rleung, is your Mac Pro CPU 3.0 GHz or 2.66 GHz?

Tecwerks, what is your graphics card name?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best regards,
    Tim

8. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

Tim, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

9. rleung

rleung Bit poster

My Mac Pro is 2.66GHz. Graphics card is ATI X1900. I just tried reinstallation one more time and recreate the VM using existing hdd. Funny, this time, Parallels managed to popup an error message saying some fatal error on monitor. It even tried to popup the bug report screen but unfortunately, the system was frozen before I managed to send it out. After a forced reboot, there is nothing in the bugreport directory....

I am using an analog (Sony SDM-HS73) monitor with the DVI to VGA adaptor. Not sure if it is related....

Thanks,
    Ray

10. rleung

rleung Bit poster

Forgot to mention that I also tried to clean up every thing and recreate a brand new VM and Hdd, it installed and run fine but once I rebooted my system a couple times, it started to freeze osx again. Actuall, even if I am using existing hdd file after reinstalling parallels, it seemed to work the first time but once the system is rebooted, same thing (and yes, every I rebooted, I have put the system to sleep for at least 10 seconds before I started my VM)

oh, BTW, I have installed XCode from the Mac Pro installation CD, any chance that there is a conflict?

Cheers,
    Ray

11. wynlyndd

wynlyndd Bit poster

Just wanted to say thanks for working on these issues so quickly. I look forward to the day the vt bug is gone but even still, on my Mac Pro it is pretty fast.

12. controller

controller Member

Yes, in Bootcamp I can't close the drive either without pressing it in (some apps, though, like imgburn, -will- close the drive.)

Parallels is the same way.

So far this 1910 build is perfect on my Mac Pro 2.66/4GB/X1900 machine. I keep running it with no real problems with WinXP except one:

When the VM turns on, the volume on my Mac gets extremely loud. I have to turn it down manually after the VM starts (as others have reported).

Even USB flash keys work great. I am very happy with this build on the Mac Pro!

Vista images seem to cause odd problems though. Once the VM started up and killed my network connection (I had to power down/reboot to get it back.) Another time I ran the Vista VM and quit, an hour later all my UI elements started to disappear. Buttons, etc. just started not appearing on the Mac desktop. I rebooted and haven't seen the problem since, so maybe it was another process that caused it, or a driver bug.

Overall, 1910 (for me) is fantastic compared to previous builds on the Mac Pro!

13. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

Ditto here. The volume goes to max when the XP VM starts. Scarred me right out of my seat....

14. mipmip

mipmip Bit poster

macbook pro

I have a macbook pro. When I run my usual Debian VM in VT mode with 424MB memory together with a standard Xubuntu VM with 256 my complete Mac OS X crashed one time with the official message. The next time I started both together my computer just rebooted without warning.

This happened in 1910. Don't know if it also would occur in 1848.

15. billearl

billearl Member

Why not just turn down the volume in the Windows "Sounds and Audio Devices" control panel?

16. wingsthree

wingsthree Bit poster

USB printing still causes an immediate crash of the Windows XP guest operating system. Two printers are involved, and both cause the crash.

Is there a fix in the pipeline, or am I permanently relegated to network printing via Bonjour with its attendant lack of driver-specific support?

Parallels is just about pointless for me if I am unable to utilize the full Epson R2400 driver ability provided, for photographic work.

17. tecwerks

tecwerks Junior Member

It is turned down.

18. mipmip

mipmip Bit poster

another bug I that accured for two time now: after I left my computer for5 a small time my parallels VM is freezed. The only solution is to reset it.

19. michil

michil Junior Member

USB Problems

Hello,

I still have problems with USB devices. I have a data recorder for my RC Helicopter and it is connected via USB. Parallels is complaining, that the device is already connected to an other program when I try to connect it to the VM with Windows XP.

What can I do?

Kind regards

Michael

20. mvk

mvk Member

Sound, USB and VTx

Re build 1910:

Same problem with loud startup sound in Win XP. Mac volume is turned down, but resets to a much higher level when XP starts up in Parallels.

As reported in multiple other posts, my Garmin Edge 305 GPS unit is not recognized by the Garmin Trainnig Center software, even though it is listed in the Windows device manager.

Finally, no crashes or serious bugs related to my 6 GB RAM. Still cannot use VTx as there is some background process preventing my Mac from sleeping longer than a few seconds!

Overall, build 1910 is a huge improvement.