Working Webcam Modells ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Uezi, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Uezi

Uezi Member

Hi,

I'm buying webcams like stupid but not one worked so far...

- Creative WebCam Live (VF-0050) -> Installs, Black Screen and capture errors
    - Logitech QuickCam Messenger -> Not recognized: 5-10s message
    - Trust SpaceCam 150 -> Installs, Black Screen and capture errors

... I'm using the latest Beta/RCs (1896.2) and parallel-tools "updated".

Does somebody have success with a webcam from a major company ? Or any other company ?
    Or which webcam does not work ? (Similar listing so parallels can easier retrieve the info)

Thanx !
    Uezi

PS: Please don't post about the iSight... We all know it's a USB 2.0 device and that Parallels doesn't support USB 2.0 !!!

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I don't know that any work.

I tried a pile of cheap-o off brand ones. Not a single success.

3. Victor

Victor Member

Some iSights are Firewire, like mine, and that also doesnt work!

I *think* I read somewhere that a certain type of USB 1.1 "traffic" is not supported, and this is whats needed for webcams. Its a real pain for me as one of my main reasons to use XP is to video chat with my family who all are XP users. :eek:

I hope it gets fixed, but Im not holding my breath.

4. horald

horald Bit poster

Why not use Skype?

If you wan to video chat with PC, the best way, I think, is to use Skype.
    Skype 2.0 beta works quite well with PC Skype 2.5 (or 2.6 beta, I didn't try it).

5. Uezi

Uezi Member

Thanks for all the responses.
    Yeah, the webcam-thingy is only for XP Messenger...

Sure I know that Skype looks like a solution but unfortunately it isn't. My GF desperately needs XP Messenger, because all her friends have it (and they're located in various countries). I cannot migrate an entire user group to skype. She thinks about ditching the Mac in favour of a Dell or an Acer... (No, BootCamp isn't a solution... She would be booting in WinXP only)
    I don't want to support a PC & XP instead of a Mac :(

There are about a half a dozen MSN-compatible Messengers but each one of them has a flaw: aMSN only webcam-mode (so no voice), mercury on the mac is video-conferencing but receive only etc...

So the question remains the same: Which was the Webcam Parallels claimed to support now ?

Thanks,
    Uezi

6. Victor

Victor Member

My brother wont install Skype, My sister had problems with Skype and dumped it. Both are on MSM, so Skype is not an answer. I Use Skype myself with no problems btw, but its not the solution. I may as well ask them both to dump their PC's and get a mac!

7. Uezi

Uezi Member

None of the device work with the latest 1898 release candidate ...

8. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Fusion definitely not working

Sent a support email to Parallels regarding my Logitech Fusion and got the following response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Parallels support.

Sorry but Parallels Desktop for Mac not yet support that kind of web
    cameras.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again
    at your earliest convenience.

Best regards, Scott Rogers.

No indication of when it would be supported so that rules out my only use for Parallels at the moment.

9. Uezi

Uezi Member

That's really funny !

Parallels has announced with their Beta-Mail that they made

"USB improvements - easily use multi interfaced and isochronous USB devices (including Windows Mobile 2005 and webcams)."

... ?!?

So when did you send the support request ?

- Uezi

10. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

This was posted Friday when I first setup my Mac. I even downloaded a new beta due to another unrelated issue. I was hoping for some indication as to when it might be fixed.

11. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

> Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for contacting Parallels support.
    >
    > We are working on it. But i can`t give you any details.
    >
    > If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again
    > at your earliest convenience.
    >
    > Best regards, Scott Rogers.

Response from Parallels re: Webcam support

12. alexbet

alexbet Junior Member

I also have iSight and I have one Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 but none of them work :( All my family is on MSN Messenger. Sure I looked into Skype, but not everyone is using it, plus the Skype beta for Mac is SOOO buggy it is just useless.

Parallels team, you have a wonderful product here, why not look into this since a LOT of people need it. Thanks!

13. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

My main reason for Parallels is MSN Messenger so I'm in the same boat. Was hoping to get a definitive answer before my 15 day trial runs out so that I could at least buy the software knowing a fix is imminent.

14. ajcooper

ajcooper Member

Well, the lack of a comment (or a reply from the Parallels team) regarding any forthcoming webcam support means that my $79 is safely in the bank and Parallels uninstalled from my Mac Pro. I'll look back again when the next major version comes out, till then my old PC stays where it is!