How to: Second hard drive and free up space

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jcortney, Sep 26, 2006.

1. jcortney

jcortney Bit poster

I know I'm dense, but I'm a Mac guy and hate trying to understand manuals. This one in particular is driving me nuts. I just installed the new build and finally got it to run with out crashing (bld1848). Now, what I'd like to be able to do is use a second hard drive for all things connected with XP. Would someone mind walking me through how to set this up? Also, how do I get the HD space back that the VM allocated?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe Cortney

2. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I hope my instructions are what you are looking for:

1) Backup your VM folder (both the HDD and the PVS) file. Make a full copy some where on a backup drive.

2) Run Parallels. Before your VM boots click the edit button.

3) In the dialog there should be an "Add..." button. Click that. Click next.

4) Select Hard disk, select size etc, clicking next until you come to the path.

5) In the path navigate to your mounted drive where you want to put the second hard disk. It can be on your same disk or on another mounted Mac drive.

6) Click finish.

This will create a brand new secondary drive for your Parallels VM. When your VM boots if running Windows this will probably appear as drive D: It may need to be formated and you can use the disk managment tool in Windows XP to do that.

Hope this helps.

3. jcortney

jcortney Bit poster

Mark,

Thanks, that got me right there. One question. Since I am going to use this entire 200 GIG drive for the XP side, should I not just make the image almost the size of the drive?

Thanks again,

Joe

4. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I'm not sure about that... I'd search the forum because I have this stinking memory of a 128G limitation on the parallels VM drives...

Parallels... anyone... Is that true?