Sly solution for full screen mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Spoono, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Spoono

Spoono Bit poster

This is a slightly convoluted way, but you can turn on remote desktop sharing under XP, and connect to the virtual machine using apple's remote desktop client. Choose full screen mode. Sound works as well!

2. Manatee

Manatee Member

Does Remote Desktop run the VM session at the full resolution of the Mac?

3. Spoono

Spoono Bit poster

Yes, it runs at the full resolution of the Mac. Some things not supported under remote desktop of course carry over (e.g., cleartype font smoothing). Aside from that, until Parallels builds full screen support into the app the solution works fine for me.

4. Manatee

Manatee Member

Great idea! Thanks.

5. oxonian

oxonian Member

Will this work with MS Remote Desktop for Mac (since Apple Remote Desktop is not free and I don't have it)?

What networking setup are you using? I read a post from one guy talking about doing this and he said he needed to have ethernet and wireless, so that Parallels could use one and the mac the other in order to see one another. Can you do better? (I don't want to have to plug in cable on my MacBook).

6. Spoono

Spoono Bit poster

Sorry, that's what I meant. You use the _MS Remote Desktop_ app (free download) to connect to the virtual machine. I don't have an ethernet, just a wireless connection on my 20" iMac.

7. Spoono

Spoono Bit poster

To tell you more about my setup, I use en1 for bridging. My virtual machine gets assigned a 10.0.1.x address (presumably from my wireless access point but I'd have to check). You can run ipconfig under XP to check the IP address assigned. Then you simply connect your remote desktop app to the that IP address (10.0.1.x for me). I have no ethernet connections anywhere, just the iMac connecting to my 802.11 network.

8. oxonian

oxonian Member

Yeah I got that working thanks. Didn't need to type in IP num, I jsut put the machine name into MS Remote Desktop Client.

Works nicely, though the screen redraw is a bit too slow for me

9. bdruth

bdruth Bit poster

I've noticed this too. I think one area that Parallels needs to spend some time is in the speed of their virtual network device. This should be SCREAMING and its barely useable. I can connect to my downstairs XP box via RDC over an 11b connection (shared by practically every other device in my home) and its more responsive with faster screen redraws than connecting locally to PW.

That said, so far PW really rocks - I'm impressed. Been using QEMU for a little while, and Parallels' virtualization really takes the cake.

10. mithras

mithras Junior Member

Running a PPC emulator (Rosetta) to run MS Remote Desktop to connect over a network back to my own machine to a virtualized Windows XP... wrong in so many ways.... :)

11. cann11

cann11 Bit poster

Agree... Thats why its so slow, I can get 28 frame per seconds video with slingplayer, so I doubt the nework driver has any major issues.

Remote desktop is great connecting a real pc to a mac, but a mac to a virtual machine on the same mac is just plain wierd.

Whats the big deal with full screen, I mean you can get some pretty decent resolution with the display control panel. I can almost fill my 20 in. mac.....

12. Spoono

Spoono Bit poster

Yeah, it is weird alright :), however it was also the only way to get sound working before Parallels released beta3.